NetBackup and Veritas Appliances Hardening Guide
- Top recommendations to improve your NetBackup and Veritas appliances security posture
- Steps to protect Flex Appliance
- Managing single sign-on (SSO)
- About lockdown mode
- Configuring an isolated recovery environment on a WORM storage server
- Steps to protect NetBackup Appliance
- About single sign-on (SSO) authentication and authorization
- About authentication using smart cards and digital certificates
- About data encryption
- About forwarding logs to an external server
- Steps to protect NetBackup
- Configure NetBackup for single sign-on (SSO)
- Configure user authentication with smart cards or digital certificates
- Access codes
- Workflow to configure immutable and indelible data
- Add a configuration for an external CMS server
- Configuring an isolated recovery environment on a NetBackup BYO media server
- About FIPS support in NetBackup
- Workflow for external KMS configuration
- Workflow to configure data-in-transit encryption
- Configure the DTE mode on a client
- How DTE configuration settings work in various NetBackup operations
- Modify the DTE mode on a backup image
- Workflow to use external certificates for NetBackup host communication
- About certificate revocation lists for external CA
- Configuring an external certificate for a clustered primary server
- Configuration options for external CA-signed certificates for a virtual name
- Configuring a NetBackup host (media server, client, or cluster node) to use an external CA-signed certificate after installation
- Configuration options for external CA-signed certificates
- ECA_CERT_PATH for NetBackup servers and clients
- About protecting the MSDP catalog
- How to set up malware scanning
- About backup anomaly detection
Creating the appliance login banner
The following procedures describe how to set the appliance login banner using the NetBackup Appliance Web Console.
To enable and create a new login banner using the NetBackup Appliance Web Console
- Log onto the NetBackup Appliance Web Console.
- Click Settings > Notifications > Login Banner.
- Select the Display Login Banner check box.
The Login Banner Heading and Login Banner Text fields are only activated if Display Login Banner is checked.
- Enter the desired text in the Login Banner Heading and the Login Banner Text fields.
- Click Preview to review your changes.
- Select the Apply changes in NetBackup check box if you want the same login banner to appear in the NetBackup Administration Console.
- Click Save.
When the confirmation dialog window appears, click Yes to apply the changes, or click No to continue making changes.
Once the login banner is enabled, you can go back and make changes. New changes are only applied if you click.
The following procedures describe how to set the appliance login banner using the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu.
To enable and create a new login banner using the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu
- Log onto the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu.
- Run the Main > Settings > Notifications > LoginBanner Set command.
- Enter a banner heading, and then press Enter.
- Enter the banner message text.
Once you have entered the banner message, type end on a new line and press Enter.
- A preview of the login banner appears with the following message:
The existing login banner will be overwritten and the SSH daemon will be restarted. Do you want to proceed? [y, n]: (y)
Type y and press Enter to set the login banner. Type n and press Enter to cancel any changes and exit the login banner configuration.
- The following message appears:
Do you want to use this banner for the NetBackup Administration Console as well? (Any existing Netbackup login banner will be overwritten.) [y, n]: (y)
Type y and press Enter to set the login banner in the NetBackup Administration Console. Type n and press Enter to continue without changing the NetBackup login banner.
Once the login banner is enabled, you cannot make individual changes to it using the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu. However, you can run the LoginBanner Set command again and overwrite the existing banner with one that contains your desired changes. Alternatively, you can use the NetBackup Appliance Web Console to make individual changes.
For more information on the login banner commands, refer to the NetBackup Appliance Command Reference Guide.