Veritas NetBackup™ Vault™ Administrator's Guide
- About Vault
- About the Vault process
- Installing Vault
- About installing and configuring Vault on UNIX and Linux systems
- About installing and configuring Vault on Microsoft Windows systems
- Best Practices
- About preferred vaulting strategies
- About how to ensure that data is vaulted
- About not Vaulting more than necessary
- About preparing for efficient recovery
- About avoiding resource contention during duplication
- About two processes trying to use the same drive
- About load balancing
- About how to avoid sending duplicates over the network
- About increasing duplication throughput
- About organizing reports
- Configuring NetBackup for Vault
- About off-site volume pools
- About creating catalog backup schedules for Vault
- About setting master server properties for Vault
- Configuring Vault
- About Vault configuration
- About configuring Vault Management Properties
- General tab (Vault Management Properties)
- Alternate Media Server Names tab (Vault Management Properties)
- Retention Mappings tab (Vault Management Properties)
- Reports tab (Vault Management Properties)
- About creating a vault
- About creating profiles
- Configuring a profile
- Duplication tab
- Catalog backup tab (Profile dialog box)
- Eject tab (Profile dialog box)
- Reports tab (Profile dialog box)
- Vaulting and managing media
- About Vault sessions
- About monitoring a Vault session
- About the list of images to be vaulted
- About ejecting media
- About injecting media
- About using containers
- About vaulting media in containers
- About managing containers and media
- About vaulting additional volumes
- About using notify scripts
- Creating originals or copies concurrently
- About the continue or fail for concurrent copies
- About creating duplicate images concurrently
- About generating reports
- About consolidating reports
- Vault report types
- Reports for media going off site
- Reports for media coming on-site
- Inventory reports
- Administering Vault
- About administering access to Vault
- About NetBackup Vault session files
- Using the menu user interface
- Debug logs
- Appendix A. Recovering from disasters
- About disaster recovery
- Appendix B. Vault file and directory structure
About Vault management procedures
Table: Vault management procedures summarizes the operational procedures for Vault. The NetBackup Vault Operator's Guide provides detailed information on day-to-day procedures.
Table: Vault management procedures
Configuration: review backup procedures and determine duplication capacity needed.
Determine appropriate servers to run duplications and determine the appropriate time windows to run duplication.
Configure Vault profiles.
Review duplication windows for performance and throughput.
Determine the levels of duplication service on a per policy basis.
Ensure sufficient hardware, software, and network capacity is available for duplication of backup images.
Choosing Backups: Vault incorporates the new criteria when choosing a backup for vaulting.
Duplication: Set up Vault policies to run vault sessions on a schedule.
Monitor jobs to ensure that they start when scheduled.
Determine media requirements and setup initial volume pool for duplication.
Monitor volume pool usage.
Ensure that sufficient media are available for duplicates to run.
Monitoring: use the NetBackup Activity Monitor to determine progress.
Set up links between log files and the email monitoring system and the paging notification.
Ensure that duplication jobs complete successfully.
Ensure that errors are reported to appropriate personnel.
Vault reports: generate reports regularly to ensure that images are duplicated correctly.
Compare report output with ejected and returned media.
Review production duplication cycle for thoroughness.
Ensure which media goes to off-site and returning on-site matches reports.
Check duplication volume pools and catalog backup pools for available media.
Ensure sufficient media available for duplication.
Use Media Manager to expire or freeze tapes manually when needed for retrieval from the vault.
Recall the media that was not recalled during normal Vault operations.
Back up the catalog: Set up a schedule for Vault backup of image catalog.
Ensure media available to store catalog.
Ensure that Vault catalog backup occurs.
Duplication capacity review: determine the capacity planning cycle, that includes the reaction time, costing factors, and new requirements.
Assist production support to help determine system, robotic, and network utilization rates (for example, disk capacity).
Assist in defining requirements for the system infrastructure to use Vault effectively with other computing environment resources.
Recovery review: test recovery procedures regularly to ensure recovery of essential data from off-site storage.
Know procedures for restoring duplicated images.
Know how to restore database catalog, backup software, and so on in case of disaster on NetBackup server(s).