Veritas NetBackup™ for Informix Administrator's Guide
- Introduction to NetBackup for Informix
- Installing NetBackup for Informix
- Configuring NetBackup for Informix
- About configuring a backup policy for Informix
- About schedule properties
- About NetBackup for Informix scripts
- Performing backups and restores of Informix
- About the NetBackup for Informix log files
- Appendix A. Register authorized locations
Example Informix backup strategy
This strategy is as follows:
Perform an Informix full backup (level 0) every Friday night.
This backs up the selected dbspaces.
Perform an Informix incremental backup (level 1) each night.
Back up the $INFORMIXDIR/etc directory once a day.
The sample scripts that NetBackup for Informix installs by default include parameters to back up the $INFORMIXDIR/etc directory after each full or each incremental backup.
Configure the Informix ALARMPROGRAM to start a logical-log backup as the logs fill.
If you do not want to wait for log files to fill, you can set up a separate NetBackup policy and then schedule a full logical-log backup to occur as often as necessary. Have a good strategy for backing up logical-log files because they are needed for database recovery.