Veritas NetBackup™ for DB2 Administrator's Guide
- Introduction to NetBackup for DB2
- Installing NetBackup for DB2
- Verifying the operating system and platform compatibility
- About log archiving
- Configuring NetBackup for DB2
- About configuring a backup policy for DB2
- About adding backup selections to a DB2 policy
- About backing up archive log files with the user exit program
- Configuring the run-time environment
- Creating a db2.conf file for use with the user exit program
- Creating a db2.conf file (vendor method)
- Configuring bp.conf files in a cluster environment
- About NetBackup for DB2 templates and shell scripts
- Creating DB2 scripts manually
- Performing backups and restores of DB2
- About user-directed backups
- Performing a database restore
- About an alternate restore
- Using Snapshot Client with NetBackup for DB2
- About NetBackup for DB2 with Snapshot Client operations
- Restoring NetBackup for DB2 from a snapshot backup
- About configuring NetBackup for DB2 block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- Configuring policies for BLI backups with NetBackup for DB2
- About Snapshot Client effects
- Troubleshooting NetBackup for DB2
- About the NetBackup for DB2 log files
- Appendix A. Configuration for a DB2 EEE (DPF) environment
- Appendix B. Using NetBackup for DB2 with SAP®
- Appendix C. Register authorized locations
Configuring a snapshot policy for NetBackup for DB2
To configure a snapshot policy
- Open the policy you want to configure.
- Click on the Attributes tab.
- Select the DB2 policy type.
- Select a policy storage unit from the Policy storage list.
Select a policy storage unit in this step even if you plan to select Snapshots only later in this procedure.
On UNIX, NetBackup also uses this storage unit if you select Third Party Copy Device when you configure the schedule.
On UNIX, Any_available is not supported for the following data movers: NetBackup Media Server or Third-party Copy Device.
- Click Perform snapshot backups.
- (Optional) Click Options to choose a snapshot method.
By default NetBackup chooses a snapshot method for you. To choose a snapshot method, click auto (the default) or click one of the methods that are presented in the list.
The snapshot method that you can use depends on your hardware environment and software environment. Only certain snapshot methods are supported in certain environments. See the NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide or the supported platforms matrix on the Veritas Support website for more information.
You can configure only one snapshot method per policy. For example, assume that you want one snapshot method for clients a, b, and c, and a different method for clients d, e, and f. Then you need to create two policies for each group of clients and select one method for each policy.
- (Optional) Select Retain snapshots for Instant Recovery or SLP management.
When this option is selected, NetBackup retains the snapshot backup image on disk for later use in recovery.
- (Optional) Select Perform off-host backup.
By default, the client that hosts the database performs the backup. If you want to reduce the I/O processing load on the client that hosts the database, specify an alternate client to perform the backup.
- (Conditional) Select an off-host backup method.
The following off-host backup methods are available:
Use Alternate client (UNIX and Windows clients)
If you select Alternate client, also specify the name of the client to perform the backup. This option may require additional configuration. The alternate client must be a client that shares the disk array.
Use Data mover (UNIX clients only).
If you click Data mover, also select one of the following possible data movers:
NetBackup Media Server
Third-Party Copy Device
- Click the Schedules tab.
- Click New.
- Configure an Automatic schedule for the database files.
- (Conditional) In the Schedules dialog box, in the Instant Recovery group, select Snapshots only.
This setting suppresses NetBackup's default behavior, which is to copy the snapshot to a storage unit. When you select Snapshots only, NetBackup creates the on-disk snapshot copy of the database, but it does not copy the snapshot to a storage unit. The on-disk snapshot becomes the only backup copy. Note that the on-disk snapshot is not considered to be a replacement for a traditional backup.
- Configure an Application Backup schedule.
NetBackup uses this storage unit for the initial stream-based backup of the database before subsequent snapshot backups are performed. It is also used for stream-based backups of the transaction logs if you use the VENDOR method.
For UNIX clients, if you select Third-Party Copy Device as an off-host backup method, select Override policy storage unit. Then select a non-SAN Media Manager or other storage unit type that is appropriate.
- (Conditional) For BLI backups it is permissible to create Automatic Cumulative Incremental and Automatic Differential Incremental backup schedules.
- On the Clients tab, specify the clients to be included in this policy.
- On the Backup Selections tab, specify a template or a backup script.
More information is available about how to use templates and scripts for a NetBackup for DB2 policy with Snapshot Client.
- Configure other attributes and add any additional schedules and backup selections.