Veritas NetBackup™ Replication Director Solutions Guide
- Additional configuration topics
- Creating a NetBackup storage server for snapshot replication
- Configuring disk pools for snapshot and replication
- About disk pools for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Using bpstsinfo to view the replication topology of a device
- Configuring storage units and storage unit groups for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Configuring storage lifecycle policies for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Operation types in a storage lifecycle policy
- Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Index From Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Retention types for storage lifecycle policy operations
- Configuring backup policies for snapshots and snapshot replication
- About NDMP support for Replication Director
- Restoring from a snapshot
- About restores from array-based snapshots of virtual machines
- OpsCenter reporting
- Using NetApp disk arrays with Replication Director
- Supported NetApp topologies
- Using NetApp Data ONTAP 7-mode with Replication Director
- About using NetApp SAN-connected storage with Replication Director
- Using NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP with Replication Director
- Using Oracle with Replication Director
- Using Virtual Machines with Replication Director
About virtual machines and Replication Director
Replication Director for NetBackup for VMware includes the following features for protecting the virtual machine snapshots and replicated copies:
Creates an instantaneous hardware snapshot of virtual machines.
Backs up the virtual machines from the snapshots at primary locations and from replicated snapshots at remote locations.
Supports browsing of virtual machine snapshots.
Restores a virtual machine from its vmdk files that are in a snapshot.
Restores the individual files from the vmdk files in a snapshot.
Supports the storage lifecycle policies.
Table: Examples of virtual machine protection with Replication Director describes the scenarios for virtual machine protection with Replication Director.
Table: Examples of virtual machine protection with Replication Director
Description and notes
Make array-based snapshots of virtual machines on NFS datastores
Configure a storage lifecycle policy (SLP) and a backup policy to create array snapshots of virtual machines. The snapshots remain on the array or filer (NetBackup storage server) and are not backed up to a NetBackup media server storage unit. This type of backup is the foundation for the other Replication Director operations.
Note the following:
Back up quiesced virtual machines from a snapshot (or snapshot replica) that is on an NFS datastore
Configure an SLP and a backup policy to make a backup image from the virtual machine snapshot. NetBackup backs up only the virtual machines that were quiesced before the snapshot occurred.
The backup image is written to a NetBackup storage unit. The image is retained according to the policy's retention period.
The Options > Snapshot Client Options).option in the policy must be enabled (under
Restore a virtual machine from a snapshot (or snapshot replica) that is on an NFS datastore
Use the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface to restore the virtual machine.
Supported restore destinations are the original (NFS) datastore or an alternate datastore (NFS or non-NFS).
Restore individual files from a snapshot (or snapshot replica) that is on an NFS datastore
Use the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface to restore the files.
Note the following:
For setting up Replication Director for virtual machines, the initial steps are the same as Replication Director for physical computers as follows:
Verify that your backup environment contains the necessary hardware and software to configure and run Replication Director. Make sure you can successfully back up a physical computer with Replication Director.
NDMP is not required for Replication Director and virtual machines.
Install or upgrade NetBackup.
Configure the following:
The disk array storage of the OpenStorage partner.
The NetBackup storage server.
The disk pool(s).
The NetBackup storage lifecycle policy (SLP).
Create a new operation in the SLP for each task that the SLP is to perform. For example, create a snapshot operation to perform the snapshot and a replication operation to copy the snapshot.
The NetBackup Client Service.
More information is available on all the procedures for configuring a NetBackup environment that uses Replication Director:
The following table lists the additional steps that are required for Replication Director and virtual machines.
Table: Replication Director for virtual machines: Configuration tasks overview
Configure the virtual machine NFS datastores on the OpenStorage storage server. Replication Director makes the snapshots on these NFS datastores.
See the NetBackup for VMware Guide.
Add the VMware backup host to your NetBackup configuration.
See the topic on adding the VMware backup host to NetBackup, in the NetBackup for VMware Guide.
Configure NetBackup access credentials for the VMware vCenter server or ESX server.
See the topic on adding NetBackup credentials for VMware, in the NetBackup for VMware Guide.
Configure a NetBackup policy (VMware policy type) to perform the operations that are specified in the SLP.