Veritas NetBackup™ Replication Director Solutions Guide
- Additional configuration topics
- Creating a NetBackup storage server for snapshot replication
- Configuring disk pools for snapshot and replication
- About disk pools for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Using bpstsinfo to view the replication topology of a device
- Configuring storage units and storage unit groups for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Configuring storage lifecycle policies for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Operation types in a storage lifecycle policy
- Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Index From Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Retention types for storage lifecycle policy operations
- Configuring backup policies for snapshots and snapshot replication
- About NDMP support for Replication Director
- Restoring from a snapshot
- About restores from array-based snapshots of virtual machines
- OpsCenter reporting
- Using NetApp disk arrays with Replication Director
- Supported NetApp topologies
- Using NetApp Data ONTAP 7-mode with Replication Director
- About using NetApp SAN-connected storage with Replication Director
- Using NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP with Replication Director
- Using Oracle with Replication Director
- Using Virtual Machines with Replication Director
ALL_FILESYSTEMS and VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST directives
The ALL_FILESYSTEMS directive provides a method to include all file systems and volumes on an NDMP filer in an NDMP backup policy.
You can exclude specific volumes from an ALL_FILESYSTEMS backup selection if you do not want to back up every volume on an NDMP filer. Use the VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST directive for this purpose. You may use valid wildcard characters in the VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST statement.
The following examples use selections that are specific to NetApp Data ONTAP 7-mode. For specific examples of backup selections for other configurations, refer to the appropriate documentation.
The VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST statements must precede ALL_FILESYSTEMS statement. For example:
To specify multiple values in a VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST statement, separate the values with a comma. For example:
You can also specify more than one VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST statement with an ALL_FILESYSTEMS directive. For example:
VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST=/vol/Hr_allfiles_vol01 VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST=/vol/testvol* ALL_FILESYSTEMS
A VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST statement may include a maximum of 256 characters. Create multiple VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST statements if necessary to avoid exceeding the limit of 256 characters. If you specify more than 256 characters, the volume list is truncated. A truncated statement may result in a backup job failure, and the error message Invalid command parameter(20) is displayed.
If the backup selection includes read-only volumes or full volumes, an NDMP backup job fails with the status code 20 (Invalid command parameter(20)). If you encounter a similar NDMP backup job error, review the
ostfi logs to identify the volumes for which the failure occurred. You can use VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST statements with the ALL_FILESYSTEMS statement to exclude the read-only volumes and the volumes with insufficient space.
In a NetBackup Replication Director environment where snapshots are replicated to a secondary filer, Veritas recommends that you use storage lifecycle policies to control backups on the secondary filer.
On NetApp 7-mode storage systems, it is generally not recommended for users to store files in /vol/vol0 because the volume contains filer system files. For this reason, vol0 should be excluded from the backup if the ALL_FILESYSTEMS directive is used in the backup policy. The following is a backup selection list that excludes /vol/vol0:
Do not use ALL_FILESYSTEMS to backup all volumes on a secondary filer. Inconsistencies may occur when automatically created NetApp FlexClone volumes are backed up or restored. Such volumes are temporary and used as virtual copies or pointers to actual volumes and as such do not need to be backed up.
If you must back up all volumes on a secondary filer, Veritas recommends that you exclude the FlexClone volumes as well as replicated volumes. For example:
VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST=/vol/Clone_* VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST=/vol/*_[0-9] VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST=/vol/*_[0-9][0-9] VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST=/vol/*_[0-9][0-9][0-9] ALL_FILESYSTEMS
This example assumes all FlexClone volumes and only FlexClone volumes begin with
/vol/Clone_. Adjust the volume specifications appropriately for your environment.
VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST applies only to ALL_FILESYSTEMS. It does not apply to explicit backup selections or wildcard-based backup selections.
If you use the ALL_FILESYSTEMS directive in an NDMP policy for Clustered Data ONTAP, you must exclude each selected SVM's root volume using the VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST directive. Otherwise the backups fail.
For more information, refer to the following topic:
Backups from snapshots for NDMP policies fail when the import of a snapshot fails for volumes where logical unit numbers (LUNs) reside with status code 4213 (Snapshot import failed). To avoid this error, use the VOLUME_EXCLUDE_LIST directive to exclude any volumes that are used to create LUNs accessed through a storage area network (SAN).