Veritas NetBackup™ Replication Director Solutions Guide
- Additional configuration topics
- Creating a NetBackup storage server for snapshot replication
- Configuring disk pools for snapshot and replication
- About disk pools for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Using bpstsinfo to view the replication topology of a device
- Configuring storage units and storage unit groups for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Configuring storage lifecycle policies for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Operation types in a storage lifecycle policy
- Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Index From Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Retention types for storage lifecycle policy operations
- Configuring backup policies for snapshots and snapshot replication
- About NDMP support for Replication Director
- Restoring from a snapshot
- About restores from array-based snapshots of virtual machines
- OpsCenter reporting
- Using NetApp disk arrays with Replication Director
- Supported NetApp topologies
- Using NetApp Data ONTAP 7-mode with Replication Director
- About using NetApp SAN-connected storage with Replication Director
- Using NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP with Replication Director
- Using Oracle with Replication Director
- Using Virtual Machines with Replication Director
Creating disk pools for snapshot replication
One disk pool can be configured as part of the Storage Server Configuration Wizard to contain primary snapshots. Additional disk pools are necessary for snapshot replication.
To create a disk pool
- Select Media and Device Management. In the right pane, click Configure Disk Pool.
- In the Disk Pool Configuration Wizard welcome panel, click Next.
- Select the type of disk pool that you want to create.
- On the Select Storage Server panel, select the storage server. Click Next.
- The Select Volumes panel presents all of the volumes that have been configured in the storage of the OpenStorage partner by the storage administrator.
You've already created one disk pool as part of the Storage Server Configuration Wizard to contain the primary snapshots that can serve as a source for replication. Now create a disk pool that can serve as a replication target.
To create a disk pool that is a target for replication, select Replication target. NetBackup filters the volumes for selection so that dissimilar volumes are not combined.
Note that in the Replication column, all the volumes have both Source and Target properties. That means that the volume can serve as both a target for replications as well as a source for another replication.
Expand the column to display other properties of the volume. For example, whether the volume is configured to be a mirror.
Another method to filter the volumes is to first clear the Primary, Replication source, and Replication target properties. Then, click on a specific volume. The wizard panel filters the volumes, displaying only those volumes that match the properties of the selected volume.
For 7-mode, when the NBUPlugin is installed on the OnCommand Unified Manager, a NetBackup group is automatically created on that server. You must use the NetApp Management Console to add resource pools to the NetBackup group so that the resource pools are exposed to NetBackup.
- Select the volume(s) to be part of this disk pool. Click Next.
- In the Additional Disk Pool Information panel, name the disk pool.
The available size that is listed is the total amount of space available in the pool. The raw size is the total raw, unformatted size of the storage in the disk pool. Click Next.
- The disk pool summary panel displays the storage server configuration up to this point.
Click Next to configure the disk pool.
- The wizard announces the successful creation of the disk pool. Click OK.
- After the disk pool creation completes, create a storage unit that uses the new disk pool. A storage unit that uses this disk pool is necessary for snapshot replication.
Select Create a storage unit that uses X where X is the disk pool and then click Next.
- In the Storage Unit Creation panel, name the storage unit.
Select the media server(s) that can use the storage unit.
Use any available media server to transport data.
NetBackup selects any media server to access the storage unit.
Use only the selected media servers.
NetBackup uses only the media server that is specified to access the storage unit.
Only media servers that have the OpenStorage plug-in installed appear in this list. For a media server to communicate with and have access to a storage server, it must be added to the Replication Director environment.
Configure additional disk pools (and storage units) for every group of disk volumes that will contain snapshot replications of the primary snapshots.