Veritas NetBackup™ Replication Director Solutions Guide
- Additional configuration topics
- Creating a NetBackup storage server for snapshot replication
- Configuring disk pools for snapshot and replication
- About disk pools for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Using bpstsinfo to view the replication topology of a device
- Configuring storage units and storage unit groups for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Configuring storage lifecycle policies for snapshots and snapshot replication
- Operation types in a storage lifecycle policy
- Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Index From Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Snapshot operation in an SLP
- Retention types for storage lifecycle policy operations
- Configuring backup policies for snapshots and snapshot replication
- About NDMP support for Replication Director
- Restoring from a snapshot
- About restores from array-based snapshots of virtual machines
- OpsCenter reporting
- Using NetApp disk arrays with Replication Director
- Supported NetApp topologies
- Using NetApp Data ONTAP 7-mode with Replication Director
- About using NetApp SAN-connected storage with Replication Director
- Using NetApp Clustered Data ONTAP with Replication Director
- Using Oracle with Replication Director
- Using Virtual Machines with Replication Director
Configuring a script- or template-based Oracle policy
Use the following procedure to configure an Oracle snapshot policy that uses Replication Director. This procedure uses an Oracle policy type, but does not automatically generate the necessary scripts. It allows the administrator to use custom scripts and templates.
Only those policy options that are necessary to configure Replication Director are listed in the following procedure. For descriptions of all policy options, see the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I or the online Help.
For Oracle-specific information, see the NetBackup for Oracle Administrator's Guide.
To create a script- or template-based Oracle policy
- In the NetBackup Administration Console, in the left pane, expand NetBackup Management > Policies.
- On the Actions menu, click New > New Policy.
- Type a unique name for the new policy in the Add a New Policy dialog box and click OK.
- Select the Attributes tab. The following items are specific to creating an Oracle policy for snapshots with Replication Director:
For NetBackup to perform Oracle backups, select Oracle. An Oracle tab appears.
Oracle combines snapshots (proxy) and stream-based backups as part of the same backup. The storage that is indicated here is used for the stream-based part of the Replication Director backup.
Select the storage that is configured to contain the stream-based (non-snapshot) part of the database backup. The storage can be either a storage lifecycle policy that is configured for non-snapshot backups, or a disk or Media Manager unit.
Use Replication Director
Enable Use Replication Director to automatically select other options that Replication Director requires:
Perform snapshot backups: Ensures that the policy creates snapshots of the disk array.
Retain snapshots for Instant Recovery or SLP management: Ensures that the policy retains the snapshot after the backup completes.
- Select the Instances and Databases tab and specify the instances to back up. Select Clients for use with scripts and templates. If either of the other two are selected, the Oracle Intelligent Policy is used and the scripts are created automatically.
After selecting the Clients for use with scripts and templates option, a message appears that describes the effect of this choice:
Existing selections (if any) for this policy are erased.
The Oracle tab is removed from this policy.
Another effect is that the Selections tab turns into the Clients tab.
Click Yes to continue Oracle policy configuration.
- Click Yes to save and close the entire policy.
- In the NetBackup Administration Console, select the policy and click the refresh button in the toolbar.
- Re-open the policy and select the Schedules tab.
Modify the Default-Application-Backup schedule:
Override policy storage selection: Enable and select a non-snapshot storage unit or a non-snapshot SLP. This is most likely the storage unit that is specified on the Attributes tab. Indicating it here makes the selection explicit.
Retention: The policy or SLP indicates the retention for the backup:
When the storage is an SLP, the SLP determines the retention and no selection is possible here.
When the storage is not an SLP, the schedule determines the retention and a selection is possible here.
Click OK to save the schedule.
Create one Full Backup schedule:
Name the schedule.
Type of backup: Select Full Backup.
Unless creating Block Level Incremental (BLI) backups, always select Full Backup to create snapshots of the Oracle database.
Override policy storage selection: Enable and select the SLP that is configured for snapshot replication.
Retention: The SLP indicates the retention for the backup.
- Configure the schedule in the Start Window tab and the Exclude Days tab.
Click OK to save and close the schedule.
- Select the Clients tab. By default, the Clients for use with scripts or templates option is selected for this script- or template-based Oracle policy.
- Add the client name(s) that contain the Oracle database and indicate the operating system of each.
- Select the Backup Selections tab. Specify the script or the template that NetBackup should use. Indicate only one script or one template.
- When the policy configuration is complete, click OK.