Veritas NetBackup™ for Oracle Administrator's Guide
- NetBackup for Oracle QuickStart
- Installing NetBackup for Oracle
- About linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup for UNIX
- Linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup on UNIX platforms
- Oracle policy configuration
- Preparing for NetBackup for Oracle configuration
- Instance management for an Oracle Intelligent Policy
- About Oracle Intelligent Policies (OIP)
- About script- or template-based Oracle policies
- About adding backup selections to an Oracle policy
- About configuring the run-time environment
- About creating templates and shell scripts
- About creating RMAN scripts manually
- Performing backups and restores of Oracle
- About NetBackup for Oracle backups
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores
- Redirecting a restore to a different client
- Using NetBackup for Oracle in a Microsoft Windows cluster environment
- Guided Recovery
- Troubleshooting Guided Recovery
- NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- About NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- How NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client works
- About configuring Snapshot Client with NetBackup for Oracle
- Restoring NetBackup for Oracle from a snapshot backup
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores of volumes and file systems using snapshot rollback
- About configuring NetBackup for Oracle block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- About Snapshot Client effects
- About Oracle support for Replication Director
- Troubleshooting RMAN backup or restore errors
- Appendix A. Real Application Clusters
- Appendix B. Best practices for protecting Oracle RAC with NetBackup
- Appendix C. Deduplication best practices
- Appendix D. Snapshot Client support of SFRAC
- Appendix E. Script-based block-level incremental (BLI) backups without RMAN on UNIX and Linux systems
- Verifying installation requirements for BLI backups without RMAN
- Creating NetBackup policies for script-based BLI backup
- Creating notify scripts for BLI backups
- Performing backups and restores
- About troubleshooting backup or restore errors
- Appendix F. XML Archiver
- NetBackup for Oracle XML export and XML import
- About XML export templates and shell scripts
- Performing an XML export archive
- Restoring an XML export archive
- About redirecting a restore of an XML export archive to a different client
- Troubleshooting XML export or XML import errors
- Appendix G. Register authorized locations
Configuration requirements for snapshot backups with NetBackup for Oracle
Each agent has its own hardware requirements, software requirements, compatibility with certain features, and the snapshot methods that are supported. Special requirements apply for specific types of backups. See the NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide and the Veritas Support website for more information. Familiarize yourself with this information before you configure any snapshot backups.
The following list highlights some of the requirements that pertain to database agents:
Snapshot Client backups do not back up all database objects. Your backup configuration must include schedules to perform snapshot and stream-based backups. This configuration ensures that the entire database can be restored successfully.
On UNIX, the user identification and group identification numbers (UIDs and GIDs) associated with the files to be backed up must be available. The UID and GID must be available to both the primary client and the alternate backup client. The UID on the primary client and the alternate backup client must be the same. Similarly, the GID on the primary client and the alternate backup client must be the same.
The UID number can be different than the GID number.
Allocate different areas for data files, archived redo logs, and the control file for database activities. Write the data files to their own repository because it is required for an instant recovery point-in-time rollback. Only data files can exist on the volume or the file system that you want to restore.
The hardware and software that is required for the appropriate snapshot method must be installed and configured correctly.
NetBackup Snapshot Client must be installed and configured correctly, and the license for this option must be registered.
To perform off-host backups, perform any special configuration that is required.