Veritas NetBackup™ for Oracle Administrator's Guide
- NetBackup for Oracle QuickStart
- Installing NetBackup for Oracle
- About linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup for UNIX
- Linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup on UNIX platforms
- Oracle policy configuration
- Preparing for NetBackup for Oracle configuration
- Instance management for an Oracle Intelligent Policy
- About Oracle Intelligent Policies (OIP)
- About script- or template-based Oracle policies
- About adding backup selections to an Oracle policy
- About configuring the run-time environment
- About creating templates and shell scripts
- About creating RMAN scripts manually
- Performing backups and restores of Oracle
- About NetBackup for Oracle backups
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores
- Redirecting a restore to a different client
- Using NetBackup for Oracle in a Microsoft Windows cluster environment
- Guided Recovery
- Troubleshooting Guided Recovery
- NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- About NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- How NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client works
- About configuring Snapshot Client with NetBackup for Oracle
- Restoring NetBackup for Oracle from a snapshot backup
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores of volumes and file systems using snapshot rollback
- About configuring NetBackup for Oracle block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- About Snapshot Client effects
- About Oracle support for Replication Director
- Troubleshooting RMAN backup or restore errors
- Appendix A. Real Application Clusters
- Appendix B. Best practices for protecting Oracle RAC with NetBackup
- Appendix C. Deduplication best practices
- Appendix D. Snapshot Client support of SFRAC
- Appendix E. Script-based block-level incremental (BLI) backups without RMAN on UNIX and Linux systems
- Verifying installation requirements for BLI backups without RMAN
- Creating NetBackup policies for script-based BLI backup
- Creating notify scripts for BLI backups
- Performing backups and restores
- About troubleshooting backup or restore errors
- Appendix F. XML Archiver
- NetBackup for Oracle XML export and XML import
- About XML export templates and shell scripts
- Performing an XML export archive
- Restoring an XML export archive
- About redirecting a restore of an XML export archive to a different client
- Troubleshooting XML export or XML import errors
- Appendix G. Register authorized locations
Configuring a snapshot policy for NetBackup for Oracle
This procedure does not detail how to configure a snapshot policy when using a NetBackup appliance.
To configure a snapshot policy
- Open the policy you want to configure.
- Click on the Attributes tab. The following screen appears.
- Select the Oracle policy type.
- Select a policy storage unit from the Policy storage list.
Select a policy storage unit in this step even if you plan to select Instant Recovery Snapshots Only later in this procedure.
NetBackup uses this storage unit for the stream-based backups of the control files and the archived redo logs that are included in this policy.
On UNIX, NetBackup also uses this storage unit if you select Third Party Copy Device when you configure the schedule.
On UNIX, Any_available is not supported for the following data movers: NetBackup Media Server or Third-party Copy Device.
- Click Perform snapshot backups.
- (Optional) Click Options to choose a snapshot method.
By default NetBackup chooses a snapshot method for you. To choose a snapshot method, click auto (the default) or click one of the methods that are presented in the list.
The snapshot method that you can use depends on your hardware environment and software environment. Only certain snapshot methods are supported in certain environments. See the NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide or the supported platforms matrix on the Veritas Support website for more information.
You can configure only one snapshot method per policy. For example, assume that you want one snapshot method for clients a, b, and c, and a different method for clients d, e, and f. Then you need to create two policies for each group of clients and select one method for each policy.
- (Optional) Select Retain snapshot for Instant Recovery or SLP management.
When this option is selected, NetBackup retains the snapshot backup image on disk for later use in recovery.
- (Optional) Select Perform off-host backup.
By default, the client that hosts the database performs the backup. If you want to reduce the I/O processing load on the client that hosts the database, specify an alternate client to perform the backup.
- (Conditional) Select an off-host backup method.
The following off-host backup methods are available:
Use Alternate client (UNIX and Windows clients)
If you select Alternate client, also specify the name of the client to perform the backup. This option may require additional configuration. The alternate client must be a client that shares the disk array.
Use Data mover (UNIX clients only).
If you click Data mover, also select one of the following possible data movers:
NetBackup Media Server
Third-Party Copy Device
Network Attached Storage
- Click the Schedules tab.
- Click New.
- Configure a schedule for the database files.
- (Conditional) To create only disk images, in the Destination panel, under Instant Recovery, select Snapshots only.
This setting suppresses NetBackup's default behavior, which is to copy the snapshot to a storage unit. When you select Snapshots only, NetBackup creates the on-disk snapshot copy of the database, but it does not copy the snapshot to a storage unit. The on-disk snapshot becomes the only backup copy. Note that the on-disk snapshot is not considered to be a replacement for a traditional backup.
- (Conditional) On the Schedules tab, configure a backup schedule for the control files or archived redo logs.
Oracle Intelligent Policy backup policy. Configure an Archived Redo Log Backup schedule for this policy.
Script- or template-based backup policy. Configure an Application Backup schedule for this policy.
NetBackup uses this storage unit for the stream-based backups of the control files and the logs that are included in this policy. NetBackup copies the database's control files and archived redo logs to the storage unit you select.
For UNIX clients, if you selected Third-Party Copy Device as an off-host backup method, click Override policy storage unit. Then select a non-SAN Media Manager or other storage unit type that is appropriate to back up the control files and archived redo logs.
- Configure the Clients, instances, or instance groups.
Oracle Intelligent Policy backup policy. On the Instances and Databases tab, specify the instances or instance group, to be included in this policy.
Script- or template-based backup policy. On the Clients tab, specify the clients to be included in this policy.
- On the Backup Selections tab, specify the correct setup depending on policy setup.
Oracle Intelligent Policy backup policy. Use the radio button to select Whole Database, Partial database - Tablespaces, Partial database - Datafiles, Fast Recovery Area, Database Backup Shares, or Whole Database - Datafile Copy Share when using this type of policy.
Script- or template-based backup policy. Specify the backup template or backup script when you use this type of policy.
More information is available about how to use templates and scripts for a NetBackup for Oracle policy with Snapshot Client.
- Configure other attributes and add any additional schedules and backup selections.