Veritas NetBackup™ for Oracle Administrator's Guide
- NetBackup for Oracle QuickStart
- Installing NetBackup for Oracle
- About linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup for UNIX
- Linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup on UNIX platforms
- Oracle policy configuration
- Preparing for NetBackup for Oracle configuration
- Instance management for an Oracle Intelligent Policy
- About Oracle Intelligent Policies (OIP)
- About script- or template-based Oracle policies
- About adding backup selections to an Oracle policy
- About configuring the run-time environment
- About creating templates and shell scripts
- About creating RMAN scripts manually
- Performing backups and restores of Oracle
- About NetBackup for Oracle backups
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores
- Redirecting a restore to a different client
- Using NetBackup for Oracle in a Microsoft Windows cluster environment
- Guided Recovery
- Troubleshooting Guided Recovery
- NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- About NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- How NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client works
- About configuring Snapshot Client with NetBackup for Oracle
- Restoring NetBackup for Oracle from a snapshot backup
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores of volumes and file systems using snapshot rollback
- About configuring NetBackup for Oracle block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- About Snapshot Client effects
- About Oracle support for Replication Director
- Troubleshooting RMAN backup or restore errors
- Appendix A. Real Application Clusters
- Appendix B. Best practices for protecting Oracle RAC with NetBackup
- Appendix C. Deduplication best practices
- Appendix D. Snapshot Client support of SFRAC
- Appendix E. Script-based block-level incremental (BLI) backups without RMAN on UNIX and Linux systems
- Verifying installation requirements for BLI backups without RMAN
- Creating NetBackup policies for script-based BLI backup
- Creating notify scripts for BLI backups
- Performing backups and restores
- About troubleshooting backup or restore errors
- Appendix F. XML Archiver
- NetBackup for Oracle XML export and XML import
- About XML export templates and shell scripts
- Performing an XML export archive
- Restoring an XML export archive
- About redirecting a restore of an XML export archive to a different client
- Troubleshooting XML export or XML import errors
- Appendix G. Register authorized locations
About the types of NetBackup for Oracle BLI backups
NetBackup performs BLI backups with Automatic Full Backup, Automatic Differential Incremental Backup, and Automatic Cumulative Incremental Backup schedules.
If a user initiates a backup and the proxy schedule name is not specified on the request with the NB_ORA_PC_SCHED environment variable, the NetBackup server starts an Full Backup schedule by default.
NetBackup for Oracle checks that a full backup was performed before it proceeds with an incremental backup. If the NetBackup scheduler or user initiates an incremental backup, and NetBackup for Oracle finds no record of a full backup using the same policy, it performs a full backup.
To ensure that it has a proper set of images to restore, NetBackup performs a full backup when it encounters the following situations:
If the number of backup streams that is specified changed from the previous backup. This change can be made in the NB_ORA_PC_STREAMS environment variable.
If NetBackup does not have a valid full backup image for the same policy in its database. For example, this situation can occur if images were expired.
If a new file was added to or deleted from the list of files for an incremental backup.
NetBackup for Oracle always initiates a full backup under these conditions, even if you want to perform an incremental backup.