Veritas NetBackup™ for Oracle Administrator's Guide
- NetBackup for Oracle QuickStart
- Installing NetBackup for Oracle
- About linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup for UNIX
- Linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup on UNIX platforms
- Oracle policy configuration
- Preparing for NetBackup for Oracle configuration
- Instance management for an Oracle Intelligent Policy
- About Oracle Intelligent Policies (OIP)
- About script- or template-based Oracle policies
- About adding backup selections to an Oracle policy
- About configuring the run-time environment
- About creating templates and shell scripts
- About creating RMAN scripts manually
- Performing backups and restores of Oracle
- About NetBackup for Oracle backups
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores
- Redirecting a restore to a different client
- Using NetBackup for Oracle in a Microsoft Windows cluster environment
- Guided Recovery
- Troubleshooting Guided Recovery
- NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- About NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- How NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client works
- About configuring Snapshot Client with NetBackup for Oracle
- Restoring NetBackup for Oracle from a snapshot backup
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores of volumes and file systems using snapshot rollback
- About configuring NetBackup for Oracle block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- About Snapshot Client effects
- About Oracle support for Replication Director
- Troubleshooting RMAN backup or restore errors
- Appendix A. Real Application Clusters
- Appendix B. Best practices for protecting Oracle RAC with NetBackup
- Appendix C. Deduplication best practices
- Appendix D. Snapshot Client support of SFRAC
- Appendix E. Script-based block-level incremental (BLI) backups without RMAN on UNIX and Linux systems
- Verifying installation requirements for BLI backups without RMAN
- Creating NetBackup policies for script-based BLI backup
- Creating notify scripts for BLI backups
- Performing backups and restores
- About troubleshooting backup or restore errors
- Appendix F. XML Archiver
- NetBackup for Oracle XML export and XML import
- About XML export templates and shell scripts
- Performing an XML export archive
- Restoring an XML export archive
- About redirecting a restore of an XML export archive to a different client
- Troubleshooting XML export or XML import errors
- Appendix G. Register authorized locations
Creating RMAN templates using the NetBackup for Oracle RMAN template generation wizard
The NetBackup for Oracle backup wizard stores information about desired RMAN backup operations. The wizard uses the information to create a template that you can run immediately. Or you can save in a NetBackup location on the master server for later use. Before you can save on the master server, the client must be in a policy or have images in the NetBackup catalog.
For more information on backup strategies and RMAN functionality, see your Oracle documentation.
If Oracle is installed on a Windows system, the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface on the client displays an Oracle node in the left pane. From the client, expand the Oracle node in the left pane to view an Oracle database instance hierarchy. Select a node in the left pane to view details in the right pane.
If your current logon does not have Oracle SYSDBA or SYSBACKUP privileges, the system prompts you to enter your Oracle database logon information. You need to enter your user name and password with SYSDBA or SYSBACKUP privileges to continue. Optionally, you can also enter your net service name (TNS alias).
To create RMAN templates using the NetBackup for Oracle RMAN template generation wizard
- Log on to NetBackup for Oracle client and start the NetBackup Backup, Archive, and Restore interface.
- In the Backup, Archive, and Restore interface, expand an Oracle database instance and select the database object(s) (data files, tablespaces, archived redo logs) to back up.
When you select the Oracle database instance, you back up the whole database using RMAN.
- Choose Actions > Backup.
The NetBackup for Oracle RMAN template generation wizard displays the following screens for you to enter information about the backup operation you want to perform:
Welcome (UNIX only)
Target Database Logon Credentials (SYSDBA only)
Recovery Catalog Logon Credentials
Archived redo logs
NetBackup for Oracle Configuration Variables
If you need an explanation of any of the fields on the wizard screens or more details, click Help on the wizard screen.
- After you complete the wizard, the Template Summary screen displays the summary of the backup template:
You can run the template immediately after the wizard finishes, save the template to the master server, or both. Select Perform backup immediately and or Save Template then click Finish.