Veritas NetBackup™ Troubleshooting Guide
- Troubleshooting procedures
- Troubleshooting NetBackup problems
- Troubleshooting vnetd proxy connections
- Troubleshooting security certificate revocation
- Verifying host name and service entries in NetBackup
- Frozen media troubleshooting considerations
- Troubleshooting problems with the NetBackup web services
- Resolving PBX problems
- Troubleshooting problems with validation of the remote host
- Troubleshooting Auto Image Replication
- Using NetBackup utilities
- About the NetBackup support utility (nbsu)
- About the NetBackup consistency check utility (NBCC)
- About the robotic test utilities
- Disaster recovery
- About disk recovery procedures for UNIX and Linux
- About clustered NetBackup server recovery for UNIX and Linux
- About disk recovery procedures for Windows
- About clustered NetBackup server recovery for Windows
- About recovering the NetBackup catalog
- About NetBackup catalog recovery and OpsCenter
- About recovering the entire NetBackup catalog
- About recovering the NetBackup catalog image files
- About recovering the NetBackup relational database
About the NetBackup consistency check utility (NBCC)
The NetBackup consistency check utility (NBCC) is a command line utility. It is used to analyze the integrity of portions of the NetBackup configuration, catalog, and database information. This analysis includes review of NetBackup storage units, the EMM server, volume pools, tape media, and backup images that are associated with tape media.
Queries the EMM database to obtain the primary host name, associated host names, and server attributes for host name normalization
Through examination of the NetBackup configuration, identifies cluster, application cluster and servers
Gathers the information on the database and catalog
Analyzes the consistency of the gathered configuration and database and catalog information
Creates a packaged bundle for Veritas technical support to review
To check the consistency of the NetBackup configuration and catalog and database information from a tape media perspective
To gather and create a package bundle when directed to do so by Veritas technical support
The use of NBCC without options gathers all data and reports, and is recommended for most customers. For additional information, NBCC description, examples, and instructions for gathering NetBackup catalog and database information to send to technical support, use the NBCC -help command.
NBCC is designed to be run on NetBackup master servers.
In some cases, a non-functioning operating system or NetBackup process or service can prevent NBCC from running properly or completing. As NBCC progresses through the interrogation of various operating system or NetBackup components, it outputs what processes to STDOUT. As NBCC processes catalog and database components, it displays how many records have been processed. The number of records that are processed is in direct relationship to the size of the catalog and database being processed. If NBCC detects a failure, related information is output to STDERR. Information to STDOUT or STDERR are also output to the
nbcc-info.txtfile (if available).
Use a text editor to look for error notices in the
By default, NBCC sends error messages to standard error (STDERR) and also includes the messages in its output files under the header STDERR.
If NBCC does not produce adequate information or if it seems to perform incorrectly, run NBCC with the -debug option to include additional debug messages in the
For troubleshooting, run NBCC when the system is in the same state as when the problem occurred. For example, do not stop and restart the NetBackup processes after the error occurs or make a change to the server or network. NBCC may not be able to gather key information about the problem.
General operating system and NetBackup configuration information on the environment that NBCC detects
A copy of the NBCC processing information that is sent to STDOUT or STDERR.
This information indicates the processing that NBCC has done.
nbcc-info.txt report contains a section of information that summarizes the NBCC processing for each system that is detected in the NetBackup configuration. This section indicates the server types in EMM that NBCC detects. It begins with "Summary of NBCC <type> processing".
A complete description of NBCC is in the NetBackup Commands Reference Guide.