Veritas NetBackup™ for Oracle Administrator's Guide
- NetBackup for Oracle QuickStart
- Installing NetBackup for Oracle
- About linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup for UNIX
- Linking Oracle RMAN with NetBackup on UNIX platforms
- Oracle policy configuration
- Preparing for NetBackup for Oracle configuration
- Instance management for an Oracle Intelligent Policy
- About Oracle Intelligent Policies (OIP)
- About script- or template-based Oracle policies
- About adding backup selections to an Oracle policy
- About configuring the run-time environment
- About creating templates and shell scripts
- About creating RMAN scripts manually
- Performing backups and restores of Oracle
- About NetBackup for Oracle backups
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores
- Redirecting a restore to a different client
- Using NetBackup for Oracle in a Microsoft Windows cluster environment
- Guided Recovery
- Troubleshooting Guided Recovery
- NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- About NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client
- How NetBackup for Oracle with Snapshot Client works
- About configuring Snapshot Client with NetBackup for Oracle
- Restoring NetBackup for Oracle from a snapshot backup
- About NetBackup for Oracle restores of volumes and file systems using snapshot rollback
- About configuring NetBackup for Oracle block-level incremental backups on UNIX
- About Snapshot Client effects
- About Oracle support for Replication Director
- Troubleshooting RMAN backup or restore errors
- Appendix A. Real Application Clusters
- Appendix B. Best practices for protecting Oracle RAC with NetBackup
- Appendix C. Deduplication best practices
- Appendix D. Snapshot Client support of SFRAC
- Appendix E. Script-based block-level incremental (BLI) backups without RMAN on UNIX and Linux systems
- Verifying installation requirements for BLI backups without RMAN
- Creating NetBackup policies for script-based BLI backup
- Creating notify scripts for BLI backups
- Performing backups and restores
- About troubleshooting backup or restore errors
- Appendix F. XML Archiver
- NetBackup for Oracle XML export and XML import
- About XML export templates and shell scripts
- Performing an XML export archive
- Restoring an XML export archive
- About redirecting a restore of an XML export archive to a different client
- Troubleshooting XML export or XML import errors
- Appendix G. Register authorized locations
Creating an Oracle Intelligent Policy (OIP)
This topic guides you through the steps for setting up an Oracle Intelligent Policy (OIP) using the NetBackup Administration Console. An OIP is used with Oracle CDB and PDB databases, Copilot, and regular Oracle database instance backups. This method precludes the need to create templates and scripts for your Oracle policies.
Table: Steps for creating an OIP
Register Oracle instances.
NetBackup automatically discovers Oracle instances and displays them in the instance repository. An instance must be registered in order for that instance to be included in an OIP.
(Conditional) Create Oracle instance group.
Instance groups are for instances with common credentials. Add an instance to a group to register that instance. This step is not required to create an OIP.
Add new policy and policy name.
In the left pane of the NetBackup Administration Console, expand .
Select Policy name: dialog box and click .or right-click on in the center pane and click on the shortcut menu. Enter a unique name in the
Configure the Attributes tab.
In the Policy Type pull-down menu, select . This action causes the tabs along the top of the display to change to a unique Oracle tab set.
For information on the Attributes tab, see the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I.
The Backup Selections tab are set during Copilot configuration.option has a different function when used with an OIP. This option is automatically selected when certain options in the
Configure the Schedules tab.
The schedules that are defined on the Schedules tab determine when backups occur for an OIP.
For information on the Schedules tab, see the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I.
Configure the Instances and Databases tab.
Select the instances or the instance groups that the OIP will back up. An OIP must include either theor the option.
Configure the Backup Selections tab.
You can backup the, , , , , or the .
Configure the Oracle tab.
The tab contains setup options for databases, tablespaces, data files, archived redo logs, file name formats, and database backup shares.
(Optional) Create bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts
For an OIP, the scripts must include the
The generic bpstart_notify or bpend_notify scripts reside on the server and the location varies by platform:
The renamed script must be copied from the server and placed in the NetBackup
Examples of renamed scripts:
For more information about the bpstart_notify and bpend_notify scripts, refer to the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume II