Veritas NetBackup™ Troubleshooting Guide
- Troubleshooting procedures
- Troubleshooting NetBackup problems
- Troubleshooting vnetd proxy connections
- Troubleshooting security certificate revocation
- Verifying host name and service entries in NetBackup
- Frozen media troubleshooting considerations
- Troubleshooting problems with the NetBackup web services
- Resolving PBX problems
- Troubleshooting problems with validation of the remote host
- About troubleshooting Auto Image Replication
- Using NetBackup utilities
- About the NetBackup support utility (nbsu)
- About the NetBackup consistency check utility (NBCC)
- About the robotic test utilities
- Disaster recovery
- About disk recovery procedures for UNIX and Linux
- About clustered NetBackup server recovery for UNIX and Linux
- About disk recovery procedures for Windows
- About clustered NetBackup server recovery for Windows
- About recovering the NetBackup catalog
- About NetBackup catalog recovery and OpsCenter
- About recovering the entire NetBackup catalog
- About recovering the NetBackup catalog image files
- About recovering the NetBackup relational database
About the NetBackup consistency check repair (NBCCR) utility
The NetBackup consistency check repair (NBCCR) utility is a command line tool that processes database-catalog repair actions. It automates the application of approved suggested repair actions. Veritas technical support analyzes the data that the NBCC utility collects, and site-specific configuration information. This analysis results in the generation of a suggested repair actions (SRA) file. Before NBCCR is run, Veritas technical support interacts with the customer to determine which repairs are needed. Undesirable repair actions are deleted or commented out of the SRA file. Each line of the SRA file contains one repair action that is paired with an associated parameter.
The NBCCR utility executes each repair action in several stages.
Table: Stages of repair
NBCCR first collects the information that is required to perform a repair.
Immediately before the suggested repair is applied, NBCCR verifies that the current status of the tape still qualifies for the requested repair. It recognizes that time has passed and the environment may have changed since the data was collected. If so, it reports in a history file that the repair is not qualified.
Finally, NBCCR performs up to three steps of repair for every repair entry in the SRA file. An element may be modified to enable the repair and steps may be necessary after the repair. If the repair fails during the repair operation, NBCCR tries to roll back the repair so that the corrective action does not introduce any new errors.
NBCCR resides in the following location:
NBCCR accepts one input file, creates two output files, and uses one temporary file.
NBCCR accepts as input the Suggested Repair Action (SRA) file named
On Windows: install_path
NBCCR automatically creates a separate directory for each SRA file processed. The file name is based on the contents of the SRA file. The name of the directory is as follows:
After repair processing is complete, NBCCR relocates the SRA file to the same directory.
NBCCR also creates the following output files and places them in the same directory.
While it runs, the NBCCR utility uses
To terminate NBCCR while it processes repairs, delete this file. This action causes NBCCR to complete the current repair, then shut down. Any other interruption causes undetermined results.
The following sample
NBCCR.output.txt files show the results of two MContents repairs. One where all images were found on tape and one where one or more images were not found on the tape:
Example 1: NBCCR found all images on the tape. The MContents repair action is successful.
MContents for ULT001 MediaServerExpireImagesNotOnTapeFlag ExpireImagesNotOnTape flag not set ULT001 MContents - All images in images catalog found on tape MContents ULT001 status: Success
Example 2: NBCCR did not find one or more images on the tape. The MContents repair action was not performed.
MContents for ULT000 MediaServerExpireImagesNotOnTapeFlag ExpireImagesNotOnTape flag not set Did NOT find Backup ID winmaster_123436 Copy 1 AssignTime 2011-02-11 01:19:13 (123436) on ULT000 Leaving winmaster_123436 Copy 1 on ULT000 in ImageDB ULT000 MContents - One or more images from images catalog NOT found on tape MContents ULT000 status: ActionFailed