NetBackup 9.0 Application Guide
- Product overview
- Geting started
- Creating NetBackup application instances
- Managing NetBackup application instances
- Accessing NetBackup master and media server instances for management tasks
- Managing users on a master or media server instance
- Running NetBackup commands on a master or media server application instance
- Accessing NetBackup WORM storage server instances for management tasks
Creating a NetBackup master server instance
Use the following procedure to create a NetBackup master server instance in Flex Appliance.
To create a NetBackup master server instance
- Make sure that the NetBackup master server application you want to use is located in the repository on the Flex Appliance Console.
- Perform the following tasks if you have not already:
Configure at least one network interface. You can configure a physical interface, add a VLAN tag, or create a bond.
Add at least one tenant.
- Gather the following information for the new instance:
The hostname and IP address must not be in use anywhere else in your domain.
Tenant that you want to assign it to
Hostname (maximum of 63 characters including the domain name)
Usage Insights customer registration key
A Veritas Usage Insights customer registration key is required to create this instance. To obtain a key, log in to the Veritas NetInsights Console site with your VEMS credentials. Go to the Registration Keys page to download the key
(Optional) NetBackup license key
NetBackup applications come with an evaluation license key. You must add a permanent NetBackup license key before the evaluation key expires. You can add your permanent key when you create the instance to avoid future issues.
If the evaluation key expires before you create the instance, the instance creation fails. Make sure that you have a valid license key before you create an instance.
- From the System topology page of the Flex Appliance Console, navigate to the Application instances section.
- Click Create instance.
- Select the appropriate master server application from the repository list that appears, making sure to verify the version number. Click Next.
- Follow the prompts to create the instance. When you are done, you can view the progress in the Activity Monitor, which is accessible from the left pane of the Flex Appliance Console.
If you do not want to use DNS or want to bypass DNS for certain hosts, verify that the hostname resolution information is included in the Hosts file entries field. You must include entries for the media servers and any other NetBackup hosts that you want to communicate with the instance.
- Once the instance has been created successfully, you must change the password from the known default password.
You cannot access the NetBackup web UI to manage the instance until you have changed the password.
To change the password, open an SSH session to the instance and log in with the following credentials:
Follow the prompt to enter a new password. When the password change is complete, you are logged out. You can log back in with the new password.
Do not configure AdvancedDisk storage on a NetBackup master server instance. The NetBackup Administration Console lets you create an AdvancedDisk storage server on a master server instance, but Flex Appliance does not support storage configuration on master server instances. Create a separate NetBackup media server instance if you want to use AdvancedDisk storage.