Veritas NetBackup™ Administrator's Guide, Volume II
- NetBackup licensing models and usage reporting
- How capacity licensing works
- Creating and viewing the licensing report
- Reviewing a capacity licensing report
- Reconciling the capacity licensing report results
- Reviewing a traditional licensing report
- Reviewing an NEVC licensing report
- Additional configuration
- About dynamic host name and IP addressing
- About busy file processing on UNIX clients
- About the Shared Storage Option
- DELETE About configuring the Shared Storage Option in NetBackup
- Viewing SSO summary reports
- About the vm.conf configuration file
- Holds Management
- Menu user interfaces on UNIX
- About the tpconfig device configuration utility
- About the NetBackup Disk Configuration Utility
- Reference topics
- Host name rules
- About reading backup images with nbtar or tar32.exe
- Factors that affect backup time
- NetBackup notify scripts
- Media and device management best practices
- About TapeAlert
- About tape drive cleaning
- How NetBackup reserves drives
- About SCSI persistent reserve
- About the SPC-2 SCSI reserve process
- About checking for data loss
- About checking for tape and driver configuration errors
- How NetBackup selects media
- About selecting media in robots
- About selecting media in standalone drives
- About Tape I/O commands on UNIX
Creating a hold
You can create a hold on one or more backup images by using the nbholdutil -create command.
Creating a hold on backup images may disrupt new backups from completing. Storage may fill up if previous backups are not automatically expired.
When you retry a failed Hold creation, an empty hold is created if the backup images have expired between the initial hold and the retry.
The nbholdutil -create command lets you create a hold for a backup image.
On a command prompt on the NetBackup master server, enter nbholdutil -create with appropriate options and elements. For example:
nbholdutil.exe -create -holdname legal_case1 -backupid win81.sky.com_1307425938 -allcopy
This command creates a hold called legal_case1. The backup image ID is win81.sky.com_1307425938. You must provide either the - allcopy option or the - primarycopy option. The - allcopy operation indicates that the hold includes all copies of the selected backup image. The - primarycopy option indicates that the hold includes only the primary copy of the selected backup image.
For more information about related command options, see the Veritas NetBackup Commands Reference Guide.
To display help information about the command and its options, enter nbholdutil -help [-option]