Veritas NetBackup™ Administrator's Guide, Volume II
- NetBackup licensing models and usage reporting
- How capacity licensing works
- Creating and viewing the licensing report
- Reviewing a capacity licensing report
- Reconciling the capacity licensing report results
- Reviewing a traditional licensing report
- Reviewing an NEVC licensing report
- Additional configuration
- About dynamic host name and IP addressing
- About busy file processing on UNIX clients
- About the Shared Storage Option
- DELETE About configuring the Shared Storage Option in NetBackup
- Viewing SSO summary reports
- About the vm.conf configuration file
- Holds Management
- Menu user interfaces on UNIX
- About the tpconfig device configuration utility
- About the NetBackup Disk Configuration Utility
- Reference topics
- Host name rules
- About reading backup images with nbtar or tar32.exe
- Factors that affect backup time
- NetBackup notify scripts
- Media and device management best practices
- About TapeAlert
- About tape drive cleaning
- How NetBackup reserves drives
- About SCSI persistent reserve
- About the SPC-2 SCSI reserve process
- About checking for data loss
- About checking for tape and driver configuration errors
- How NetBackup selects media
- About selecting media in robots
- About selecting media in standalone drives
- About Tape I/O commands on UNIX
Tools for creating and viewing licensing reports
NetBackup provides the following tools to gather backup data information and create licensing reports.
NetBackup 8.1.2 and later automatically collects and includesinformation in the NetBackup web UI. The usage report displays trends and details on the NetBackup data that is protected including data size, master server, and policy type.
For more information, see the NetBackup Web UI Administrator's Guide.
Veritas NetInsights Console is a new SaaS-based unified platform with Veritas products and features. It helps you to manage your usage and your license entitlements as well as leverages product telemetry and support data to offer software and appliance insights.
The NetInsights Console delivers a cohesive experience and eliminates the need to switch between multiple products.
To connect to Veritas NetInsights Console, use the following URL:
Usage information is used with Veritas Usage Insights that is part of the Veritas NetInsights Console to compare backup size data with your capacity, traditional, and NEVC licensing.
NetBackup supports the following licensing types:
NetBackup Platform Base Complete Edition*
NetBackup Platform Base Limited Edition*
NetBackup Platform Base Big Data Workload Edition*
NetBackup Platform Base NDMP Edition*
NetBackup Platform Base Complete Edition with Flexible Licensing*
NetBackup Enterprise Virtual Client Edition
NetBackup Traditional Licensing Model Edition
License types marked with an asterisk (*) use capacity licensing.
NetBackup Deployment Insights is a command-line tool that can gather backup size data and create a licensing report. The netbackup_deployment_insights command generates a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to review. In NetBackup 8.1.2 and later, the tool automatically gathers backup size data.
With NetBackup 9.1, nbdeployutil is renamed to netbackup_deployment_insights. It is recommended to use the NetBackup Deployment Insights tool when you manually generate the license reports. You can continue using the nbdeployutil command with the same options. You can then use this utility to:
Run traditional and NEVC licensing reports on an automated schedule.
Run capacity licensing reports on an incremental schedule.
Manually generate reports for traditional or for capacity licensing.
Create custom capacity license reports. For example, for a set of clients or for a business unit.
OpsCenter also provides a licensing reporting interface that is useful for multi-server environments. You must run reports manually in OpsCenter.