Veritas NetBackup™ for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator's Guide
- Introducing NetBackup for Exchange
- Installing NetBackup for Exchange
- Snapshot Client configuration and licensing requirements for Exchange snapshot backups
- Configuring Exchange client host properties
- Configuring the account for NetBackup Exchange operations
- Configuring the Exchange hosts
- Configuring Exchange Granular Recovery
- About Exchange backups and Granular Recovery Technology (GRT)
- About installing and configuring Network File System (NFS) for Exchange Granular Recovery
- About configuring Services for Network File System (NFS) on Windows 2012, 2012 R2, or 2016
- About configuring Services for Network File System (NFS) on Windows 2008 and 2008 R2
- Configuring Exchange backup policies (non-VMware)
- About configuring a backup policy for Exchange Server
- Adding schedules to a NetBackup for Exchange policy
- Adding backup selections to an Exchange policy
- About configuring snapshot backups of Exchange Server
- Configuring a snapshot policy for Exchange Server
- About configuring Instant Recovery backups of Exchange Server
- Configuring an Exchange snapshot policy with Instant Recovery
- Performing backups of Exchange Server, mailboxes, and public folders
- Performing restores of Exchange Server, mailboxes, and public folders
- About restoring Exchange snapshot backups
- About restoring individual Exchange mailbox and public folder items
- About redirecting a restore of Exchange mailbox or public folder objects to a different path
- Protecting Exchange Server data with VMware backups
- About protecting Exchange Server data with VMware backups
- About configuring a VMware backup that protects Exchange Server
- About configuring a VMware backup that protects Exchange Server, using Replication Director to manage snapshot replication
- Recovering an Exchange database to a repaired or an alternate Exchange server
- Troubleshooting backups and restores of Exchange Server
- About NetBackup for Exchange debug logging
- Viewing Event Viewer logs on an off-host Exchange server
- About NetBackup status reports
- Troubleshooting Exchange restore operations
- Troubleshooting DAG backups and restores
- Appendix A. NetBackup Legacy Network Service (Exchange 2010)
Configuring a VMware policy to back up Exchange Server
To configure a VMware policy to back up Exchange Server
- Create a new policy or open the policy you want to configure.
- In the Policy dialog box, click the Attributes tab.
- In the Policy type list, select VMware.
For complete details on how to create a policy for VMware backups, see the NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide.
- In the Policy storage box, select a disk storage unit.
If you want to use NetBackup Accelerator, select a PureDisk storage unit type (MSDP or PureDisk). The NetBackup device mapping files list all supported storage types.
- To use NetBackup Accelerator, click Use Accelerator.
Accelerator uses the initial full backup to establish a baseline. Any subsequent backups that are performed with Accelerator can run significantly faster. You may want to create an additional policy schedule that enables the Accelerator forced rescan option. This option establishes a new baseline for the next Accelerator backup. For more details on NetBackup Accelerator, see the following:
When you enable Accelerator, on the VMware tab the Enable block-level incremental backup option is also selected and grayed out.
- On the Clients tab, click Select automatically through query.
If you encounter problems using a query, on the VMware tab try changing the Primary VM identifier from VM hostname to VMware display name.
- From the NetBackup host to perform automatic virtual machine selection list, select the host you want to use.
- Use the Query Builder to create a rule(s) that selects the virtual machine(s) you want to back up.
For more details on the Query Builder, see the NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide.
- Click the Backup Selections tab.
This tab displays the query you created on the Clients tab.
- Click the VMware tab.
For details on the options in this dialog box, see the NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide.
- Select the Primary VM identifier to use to catalog the backups.
- Select Enable file recovery from VM backup.
This option must be enabled for application protection of Exchange Server.
- Select Enable Exchange Recovery.
This option enables recovery of the Exchange databases or mailbox messages from the virtual machine backups. If this option is disabled, you can recover the entire virtual machine from the backup, but you cannot recover the databases or mailbox messages individually.
- If you want to truncate logs, do not enable Truncate logs at this time. You must first perform a full backup without log truncation, described later in this procedure.
- If you want to exclude certain disks from the VMware backup, click the Exclude Disks tab.
NetBackup excludes those disks from the VMware backup that protects Exchange Server. Be sure that any disks that you exclude do not contain Exchange data.
For details on the Exclude Disks tab, see the NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide.
- Click OK to save the policy.
If you do not want to truncate transaction logs, no further action is necessary.
If you want to truncate transaction logs, continue with step 17.
- Perform a full backup without log truncation.
Without this initial full backup, the ASC job fails.
- When the backup completes, open the policy that you created in step 1.
- Click the VMware tab.
- Under Enable Exchange Recovery, select Truncate logs.
This option truncates the transaction logs when the VMware snapshot of the virtual machine is complete.
- Click OK to save the policy.
- Perform a full VMware backup.