VCS-255: Administration of Veritas Storage Foundation 6.1 for UNIX
Although each product varies in complexity and depth, all certification exams are created specifically for customers and cover core elements measuring technical knowledge against factors such as installation, configuration, deployment and management & administration.
This program consists of a technical exam at a product/version level that validates that the successful candidate has the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully administer Veritas Storage Foundation 6.1 for UNIX.
Passing this exam will result in a Veritas Certified Specialist (VCS) certification and counts towards the requirements for a Veritas Certified Professional (VCP) certification in Storage Management and High Availability for UNIX.
# of Questions: 70 - 80
Exam Duration: 105 minutes
Passing Score: 73%
Exam Price: $225 USD (or your country’s currency equivalent)
- Veritas Storage Foundation 6.x for UNIX: Administration Fundamentals
Note: If you do not have prior experience with this product, it is recommended that you complete an in-person, classroom training or Virtual Academy virtual classroom training class in preparation for the VCS exam. Be cautioned that attendance in a training course does not guarantee passage of a certification exam.
Recommended preparation steps:
- Exam Objectives (PDF): Download and review exam objectives to understand the scope of topics covered in the certification exam.
- Attend recommended training classes listed above.
- Study Guide (PDF): Review the study guide, which maps key lessons and topics from the associated training course(s) to the exam objectives of the certification exam.
- Gain hands-on experience with the product. Six to twelve months experience working with Veritas Storage Foundation 6.1 for UNIX in a production or lab environment is recommended.
- Sample Exam (PDF): Test yourself and your exam-taking skills using the sample exam
In addition, you should be familiar with the following supporting products, skills, technologies, product documentation, and websites:
- Recommended knowledge of UNIX system and network administration.
- Recommended knowledge of storage virtualization and high availability concepts.
- Veritas Storage Foundation 6.x Release Notes
- Veritas Storage Foundation 6.x Installation Guide
- Veritas Storage Foundation 6.x Administrator’s Guide
- Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing 6.x Administrator’s Guide
- Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 6.x: What’s New in this Release Guide
- Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing Release Notes 6.x
- Veritas Storage Foundation High Availability Solutions 6.x Solutions Guide
- Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing Installation Guide 6.x
- Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Troubleshooting Guide 6.x
- Storage Foundation Documentation
- About Storage Foundation
- Veritas Communities
- Veritas Support
Recommended hands-on experience (real world or virtual):
- Perform pre-installation and pre-upgrade checks using the SORT tool.
- Describe the benefits of Storage Foundation to include the different product levels.
- Identify Volume Manager storage objects and volume layouts.
- Install Storage Foundation 6.1 packages to new systems and upgrade Storage Foundation to version 6.1 on existing servers.
- Verify Storage Foundation 6.1 is properly installed and configuration daemon is online.
- Describe the components that make up the Storage Foundation 6.1 architecture.
- Describe the Storage Foundation 6.1 user interfaces to include command line and GUI interfaces.
- Verify existing Storage Foundation licenses and install new licenses as needed.
- Initialize and manage devices using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create and manage disk groups using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create, delete and manage volumes of different types using the command line or VOM interface.
- Configure volumes by adding mirrors and logs to existing volumes using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create File Systems on existing volumes.
- Perform file system administration on File Systems.
- Have a basic knowledge of Storage Foundation 6.1 Dynamic Multi-Pathing, load balancing, and failover.
- Use the Dynamic Multi-Pathing feature to view and manage storage.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of Storage Foundation 6.1.
- Describe the Storage Foundation 6.1 support tools to analyze and monitor performance including VxBench.
- Create and point in time copies on Volume Manager volumes and File Systems (snapshots and checkpoints).
- Perform deduplication and compression on File Systems.
- Manage disks, disk groups and volumes using site awareness (remote mirroring).
- Create and manage a SmartTier environment.
To register for an exam, follow these instructions.
Email Certification Team