Veritas NetBackup Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide
- Snapshot Client features
- About snapshot basics
- Off-host backup overview
- Off-host backup methods
- About alternate client backup
- Snapshot Client requirements
- Policy configuration
- Selecting the snapshot method
- Configuration parameters for Snapshot Client
- About using alternate client backup
- Configuring alternate client backup
- Policy configuration tips
- About disabling snapshots
- FlashBackup configuration
- Instant Recovery configuration
- About Instant Recovery
- About sizing the cache for Instant Recovery copy-on-write snapshots
- About configuring VxVM
- About storage lifecycle policies for snapshots
- Network Attached Storage (NAS) snapshot configuration
- Configuration of software-based snapshot methods
- Software-based snapshot methods
- Cache device requirements
- About VxFS_Checkpoint
- About VxVM
- About FlashSnap
- About VVR
- About VSS
- Software-based snapshot methods
- Support for Cluster Volume Manager Environments (CVM)
- Configuration of snapshot methods for disk arrays
- About the new disk array snapshot methods
- Disk array configuration tasks
- OS-specific configuration tasks
- About VSS configuration (Windows)
- About EMC CLARiiON arrays
- Configuring NetBackup to access the CLARiiON array
- Configuring a NetBackup policy for a CLARiiON array method
- About EMC Symmetrix arrays
- About configuration for EMC_TimeFinder_Mirror
- About configuration for EMC_TimeFinder_Clone
- About HP EVA arrays
- Verifying connectivity from clients to array using SSSU 5.0
- About IBM DS6000 and DS8000 arrays
- Configuring NetBackup to access the IBM DS6000 or DS8000 array
- About IBM DS4000 array
- About Hitachi SMS/WMS/AMS, USP/NSC, USP-V/VM
- Hitachi array software requirements
- About HP-XP arrays
- About array troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting issues pertaining to all arrays
- Troubleshooting IBM DS6000 and DS8000 arrays
- Troubleshooting IBM4000 arrays
- Troubleshooting Hitachi arrays
- Notes on Media Server and Third-Party Copy methods
- Backup and restore procedures
- About restores from a FlashBackup backup
- Instant Recovery restore features
- About Instant Recovery: block-level restore
- About Instant Recovery: file promotion
- About Instant Recovery: Fast File Resync (Windows clients only)
- About Instant Recovery: point in time rollback
- About configurations for restore
- About restoring from a disk snapshot
- Logging directories for UNIX platforms
- Logging folders for Windows platforms
- FlashBackup and status code 13
- Appendix A. Managing nbu_snap (Solaris)
- Appendix B. Overview of snapshot operations
- Appendix C. NetBackup integration with CloudPoint for snapshot managment
Configuring a policy for Instant Recovery
To configure a policy for Instant Recovery
- On the master server, open the NetBackup Administration Console.
- Click Policies. In the All Policies pane, open a policy or create a new one.
- For the policy type, select Standard, MS-Windows, FlashBackup-Windows, or the database agent type appropriate for the client(s).
- Select a storage unit (disk or tape).
If you select Snapshots only on the Schedules tab, the storage unit is not used. NetBackup creates a snapshot only.
- Select Perform snapshot backups.
- Select Retain snapshots for instant recovery or SLP management.
- To save the settings, click Apply.
- Click the Options option to select the snapshot method.
For a new policy, you can skip this step to let NetBackup select the method (auto is the default method).
Select a snapshot method from the pull-down list. For creating an Instant Recovery snapshot, the available methods are:
NetBackup selects the snapshot method. If auto is the method, only one snapshot can be retained at a time.
Uses the VxVM FlashSnap feature and VxVM FastResync to create the snapshot. VxVM mirrors must be configured:
This method can also use instant snapshots:
For Windows clients, FlashSnap can use the Fast File Resync feature of Storage Foundation for Windows 4.1.
Uses the NDMP V4 snapshot extension to create the snapshot on the NAS-attached disk.
The name of the snapshot method that is selected in a policy configured for snapshot replication using Replication Director. The name represents OpenStorage Frozen Image Method.
Refer to the NetBackup Replication Director Solutions Guide for more details.
VSS selects the actual snapshot method depending on which snapshot provider is configured on the client. For example, if the client data is stored on an EMC CLARiiON disk array, and the array administrator has fully configured the array and its snapshot capability: VSS selects the appropriate EMC CLARiiON snapshot method for the backup.
Uses VxFS Storage Checkpoint to create the snapshot. A new Storage Checkpoint is created whenever a backup using the VxFS_Checkpoint method is executed.
Uses VxVM FastResync to create the snapshot. VxVM mirrors must be configured:
The VxVM method can also use instant snapshots:
For Windows clients, VxVM can use the Fast File Resync feature of Storage Foundation for Windows 4.1.
Creates a snapshot of a VxVM volume on a Veritas Volume Replication host.
The disk array snapshot methods.
See the appropriate topic for your disk array and snapshot method.
Change parameter values for the method, if needed.
When you are finished, click OK.
- To configure a schedule, use the Schedule tab.
If Snapshots only is selected, the snapshot is not backed up to tape or other storage. NetBackup creates a snapshot on disk only. This option is required for the NAS_Snapshot method. Note that you must deselect Snapshots only if you want to deselect Retain snapshots for instant recovery and SLP management on the policy Attribute tab.
If the snapshot uses VxFS_Checkpoint or is a VxVM space-optimized snapshot, it is created on the same device as the device containing the original data. In that case, you may want to create another policy to back up the data to a separate device.
If Snapshots and copy snapshots to a storage unit is selected, NetBackup creates (and retains) a snapshot and backs up the client's data to the storage unit that is specified in the policy.
You can select the retention period for snapshots under Retention.
Make other schedule selections as desired, and click OK.
- To enter the files and folders to be backed up, use the Backup Selections tab.
When backing up Oracle database clients, refer to the NetBackup for Oracle System Administrator's Guide for instructions.
- To specify clients to be backed up by this policy, use the Clients tab.
- On the policy Attributes tab: if you click Apply or OK, a validation process checks the policy and reports any errors. If you click Close, no validation is performed.