VCS-252: Administration of Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0 for UNIX
Although each product varies in complexity and depth, all certification exams are created specifically for customers and cover core elements measuring technical knowledge against factors such as installation, configuration, product administration, day-to-day maintenance, and basic troubleshooting.
This program consists of a technical exam at a product/version level that validates that the successful candidate has the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully administer Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0 for Unix.
Passing this exam will result in a Veritas Certified Specialist (VCS) certification and counts towards the requirements for a Veritas Certified Professional (VCP) certification in Storage Management and High Availability for UNIX.
# of Questions: 90 - 100
Exam Duration: 120 minutes
Passing Score: 62%
Exam Price: $225 USD (or your country’s currency equivalent)
Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0 for UNIX : Administration
Find available Instructor-Led Training (ILT) or Virtual Academy (VA) classes or visit the online eLibrary for self-paced training.
Note: If you do not have prior experience with this product, it is recommended that you complete an in-person, classroom training or Virtual Academy virtual classroom training class in preparation for the VCS exam. If you have experience with this product, you may find an online course equivalent to be sufficient. Be cautioned that attendance in a training course does not guarantee passage of a certification exam.
Below includes the recommended preparation to achieve this level of expertise.
- Exam Objectives (PDF)
- Sample Exam (PDF)
- The study guide is targeted for those who have attended the recommended 5 day training course. This self-study guide summarizes the key lessons and topics in the corresponding certification exam.
- Recommended 3-6 months experience working with Symantec Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0 for UNIX in a production or lab environment.
- Recommended knowledge of UNIX system and network administration.
- Recommended knowledge of storage virtualization and high availability concepts.
- Recommended Symantec Certified Specialist in Veritas Storage Foundation 5.1 or equivalent working knowledge of Veritas Storage Foundation.
Familiarity with product documentation:
- Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0 Release Notes
- Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0 Installation Guide
- Veritas Storage Foundation 6.0 Administrator’s Guide
- Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing 6.0 Administrator’s Guide
- Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Solutions 6.0: What’s New in this Release Guide
- Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing Release Notes 6.0
- Veritas Storage Foundation High Availability Solutions 6.0 Solutions Guide
- Veritas Dynamic Multi-Pathing Installation Guide 6.0
- Veritas Storage Foundation and High Availability Troubleshooting Guide 6.0
Hands-on Experience (Real World or Virtual):
- Perform pre-installation and pre-upgrade checks using the SORT tool.
- Describe the benefits of Storage Foundation to include the different product levels.
- Identify Veritas Volume Manager storage objects and volume layouts.
- Install Storage Foundation 6.0 packages to new systems and upgrade Storage Foundation to version 6.0 on existing servers.
- Verify Storage Foundation 6.0 is properly installed and configuration daemon is online.
- Describe the components that make up the Storage Foundation 6.0 architecture.
- Describe the Storage Foundation 6.0 user interfaces to include command line and GUI interfaces.
- Verify existing Storage Foundation licenses and install new licenses as needed.
- Initialize and manage devices using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create and manage disk groups using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create, delete and manage volumes of different types using the command line or VOM interface.
- Configure volumes by adding mirrors and logs to existing volumes using the command line or VOM interface.
- Create Veritas File Systems on existing volumes.
- Perform file system administration on Veritas File Systems.
- Have a basic knowledge of Storage Foundation 6.0 Dynamic Multi-Pathing, load balancing, and failover.
- Use the Dynamic Multi-Pathing feature to view and manage storage.
- Perform basic troubleshooting of Storage Foundation 6.0.
- Describe the Storage Foundation 6.0 support tools to analyze and monitor performance including VxBench.
- Create and point in time copies on Veritas Volume Manager volumes and Veritas File Systems (snapshots and checkpoints).
- Perform deduplication and compression on Veritas File Systems.
- Manage disks, disk groups and volumes using site awareness (remote mirroring).
- Create and manage a SmartTier environment.
To register for an exam, follow these instructions.
Email Certification Team