Veritas NetBackup™ Logging Reference Guide
- Using logs
- About unified logging
- About legacy logging
- About global logging levels
- Troubleshooting error messages in the NetBackup Administration Console
- Backup process and logging
- Media and device processes and logging
- Restore process and logging
- Advanced Backup and Restore Features
- Storage logging
- NetBackup Deduplication logging
- OpenStorage Technology (OST) logging
- Storage lifecycle policy (SLP) and Auto Image Replication (A.I.R.) logging
- NetBackup secure communication logging
- NetBackup proxy helper logging
- NetBackup proxy tunnel logging
- Snapshot technologies
- Locating logs
- Java-based administration console logging
About limiting the size and the retention of legacy logs
Certain NetBackup processes write legacy debug logs. Because legacy debug logs can grow very large, enable them only if unexplained problems exist. Delete the logs and the associated directories when they are no longer needed.
To limit the time for which NetBackup retains logs, specify the number of days in the Host Properties in the Logging dialog box.field. The default is 28 days. You can specify the number under
The following properties have been moved from thehost properties to the host properties: and . On the properties screen, these properties are referred to as and respectively.
See the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I for more information about logging properties.
SeeConfiguring the legacy log rotation for information about another method to manage log files.
For the logs that are created by the other NetBackup processes (except media and device management logs), use theproperty. The property may override the robust file logging settings. If is set to 10 days and robust file logging settings allow more than 10 days, the logs are deleted on day 11.
For media and device management legacy logs, use the DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS setting in the
vm.conf file to control log file rotation. The default is 30 days. The vm.conf file is located in the following directory:
DAYS_TO_KEEP_LOGS = 3
See the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume II for instructions about how to use this entry.