Veritas NetBackup™ Deduplication Guide
- Introducing the NetBackup media server deduplication option
- Planning your deployment
- About MSDP storage and connectivity requirements
- About NetBackup media server deduplication
- About NetBackup Client Direct deduplication
- About MSDP remote office client deduplication
- About MSDP performance
- MSDP deployment best practices
- Provisioning the storage
- Licensing deduplication
- Configuring deduplication
- Configuring the Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent behavior
- Configuring the MSDP fingerprint cache behavior
- Configuring MSDP fingerprint cache seeding on the storage server
- About MSDP Encryption using KMS service
- Configuring a storage server for a Media Server Deduplication Pool
- Configuring a disk pool for deduplication
- Configuring a Media Server Deduplication Pool storage unit
- About MSDP optimized duplication within the same domain
- Configuring MSDP optimized duplication within the same NetBackup domain
- Configuring MSDP replication to a different NetBackup domain
- About NetBackup Auto Image Replication
- Configuring a target for MSDP replication to a remote domain
- Creating a storage lifecycle policy
- Resilient Network properties
- Editing the MSDP pd.conf file
- About protecting the MSDP catalog
- Configuring an MSDP catalog backup
- Configuring deduplication to the cloud with NetBackup CloudCatalyst
- Using NetBackup CloudCatalyst to upload deduplicated data to the cloud
- Configuring a CloudCatalyst storage server for deduplication to the cloud
- Monitoring deduplication activity
- Viewing MSDP job details
- Managing deduplication
- Managing MSDP servers
- Managing NetBackup Deduplication Engine credentials
- Managing Media Server Deduplication Pools
- Changing a Media Server Deduplication Pool properties
- Configuring MSDP data integrity checking behavior
- About MSDP storage rebasing
- Managing MSDP servers
- Recovering MSDP
- Replacing MSDP hosts
- Uninstalling MSDP
- Deduplication architecture
- About unified logging
- About legacy logging
- Troubleshooting MSDP installation issues
- Troubleshooting MSDP configuration issues
- Troubleshooting MSDP operational issues
- Troubleshooting CloudCatalyst issues
- CloudCatalyst logs
- Problems encountered while using the Cloud Storage Server Configuration Wizard
- Disk pool problems
- Problems during cloud storage server configuration
- CloudCatalyst troubleshooting tools
- Appendix A. Migrating to MSDP storage
Configuring encryption for MSDP backups
Configure encryption on individual hosts
Use this procedure to configure encryption on individual MSDP hosts.
The ENCRYPTION parameter in the MSDP
Configure encryption for all Client Direct clients
Use this procedure to configure encryption for all of your clients that deduplicate their own data (that is, client-side deduplication). If you use this procedure, you do not have to configure each client-side deduplication client individually.
The ServerOptions parameter in the MSDP
To ensure that encryption occurs for all backups jobs, configure it on all MSDP hosts. MSDP hosts include the MSDP storage server, the MSDP load balancing servers, and the NetBackup Client Direct deduplication clients.
To configure backup encryption on a single host
- Use a text editor to open the pd.conf file on the host.
The pd.conf file resides in the following directories:
- For the line that begins with #ENCRYPTION, remove the pound sign ( or hash sign, #) in column 1.
- In that same line, replace the 0 (zero) with a 1.
The spaces to the left and right of the equal sign (=) in the file are significant. Ensure that the space characters appear in the file after you edit the file.
- On the client-side deduplication clients and on the MSDP load balancing servers, ensure that the LOCAL_SETTINGS parameter in the pd.conf file is set to 1. Doing so ensures that the setting on the current host has precedence over the server setting.
- Save and close the file.
- If the host is the storage server or a load balancing server, restart the NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service (nbrmms) on the host.
To configure backup encryption on all client-side deduplication clients
On the storage server, open the
contentrouter.cfgfile in a text editor; it resides in the following directory:
- Add agent_crypt to the ServerOptions line of the file. The following line is an example: