Veritas NetBackup™ Administrator's Guide, Volume II
- NetBackup licensing models and the nbdeployutil utility
- How capacity licensing works
- Creating and viewing the licensing report
- Reviewing a capacity licensing report
- Reconciling the capacity licensing report results
- Reviewing a traditional licensing report
- Reviewing an NEVC licensing report
- Additional configuration
- About dynamic host name and IP addressing
- About busy file processing on UNIX clients
- About the Shared Storage Option
- About configuring the Shared Storage Option in NetBackup
- Viewing SSO summary reports
- About the vm.conf configuration file
- Holds Management
- Menu user interfaces on UNIX
- About the tpconfig device configuration utility
- About the NetBackup Disk Configuration Utility
- Reference topics
- Host name rules
- About reading backup images with nbtar or tar32.exe
- Factors that affect backup time
- NetBackup notify scripts
- Media and device management best practices
- About TapeAlert
- About tape drive cleaning
- How NetBackup reserves drives
- About SCSI persistent reserve
- About the SPC-2 SCSI reserve process
- About checking for data loss
- About checking for tape and driver configuration errors
- How NetBackup selects media
- About selecting media in robots
- About selecting media in standalone drives
- About Tape I/O commands on UNIX
Creating and viewing the licensing report
After gather data for the licensing report, use the --report - - traditional or the - - capacity option to generate the licensing report. You can create a report for any of the following:
A single master server.
Several master servers.
A specific subset of clients. For example, a report that contains capacity usage for business unit billing.
The - -gather --capacity command is run for master server cayce.rm.com:
C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdeployutil.exe --gather --capacity NetBackup Deployment Utility, version 8.1.x Gathering license deployment information... Discovered master server cayce.rm.com Master Server: cayce.rm.com Domain Type (NIS, NISPLUS, WINDOWS, vx, unixpwd, ldap):WINDOWS Domain Name: rm.com User Name:Administrator Password: Output for master server at: C:\Program Files\Veritas\netbackup\var\global\reports\ 20160527_140620_cayce.rm.com Gather DONE
To create a capacity report based on the data gathered, the utility tells you what command you need to run:
To create a report for this master server, run the following: nbdeployutil.exe --report --capacity "C:\Program Files\Veritas\netbackup\var\global\reports\ 20160527_140620_cayce.rm.com" C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdeployutil.exe --report --capacity "C:\Program Files\Veritas\netbackup\var\global\report\ 20160527_140620_cayce.rm.com" NetBackup Deployment Utility, version 8.1.x Analyzing license deployment ... Following directories were given, but do not exist: C:\Program Files\Veritas\netbackup\var\global\report\ 20160527_140620_ cayce.rm.com
The utility generates a log file named
nbdeployutil-report-timestamp.log during the analysis and the report generating operation. By default, the log file is created in the directory where the gathered data resides.
This example assumes that you have gathered the respective master server's data in directories
master3dir. These directories all reside within a parent directory named
EMEA-domains. The output (report and log file) is saved to the
# nbdeployutil --report --parentdir=EMEA-domains
This variation creates a report for a smaller set of master servers and specifies a different directory for the output.
# mkdir UK-masters # nbdeployutil --report EMEA-domains/master1dir EMEA-domains/master2dir --output=UK-masters
The utility can be used to examine a specific set of clients in detail.
Example: Gather data for a subset of clients for a time frame different than the default.
nbdeployutil.exe --gather --output BusinessUnitFinance --start "11/01/10 06:00:00" --end "11/02/10 01:00:00" --clients marybl2g1,marybl7g1 --verbose
To create a report for these clients, run the following:
nbdeployutil.exe --report "BusinessUnitFinance\20101102_155246_marybl2g1"