Veritas NetBackup™ Administrator's Guide, Volume II
- NetBackup licensing models and the nbdeployutil utility
- Creating and viewing the licensing report
- Reviewing a capacity licensing report
- Reconciling the capacity licensing report results
- Reviewing a traditional licensing report
- Additional configuration
- About dynamic host name and IP addressing
- About busy file processing on UNIX clients
- About the Shared Storage Option
- About configuring the Shared Storage Option in NetBackup
- Viewing SSO summary reports
- About the vm.conf configuration file
- Holds Management
- Menu user interfaces on UNIX
- About the tpconfig device configuration utility
- About the NetBackup Disk Configuration Utility
- Reference topics
- Host name rules
- About reading backup images with nbtar or tar32.exe
- Factors that affect backup time
- NetBackup notify scripts
- Media and device management best practices
- About TapeAlert
- About tape drive cleaning
- How NetBackup reserves drives
- About SCSI persistent reserve
- About the SPC-2 SCSI reserve process
- About checking for data loss
- About checking for tape and driver configuration errors
- How NetBackup selects media
- About selecting media in robots
- About selecting media in standalone drives
- About Tape I/O commands on UNIX
Media and device performance and troubleshooting
The following items are performance and troubleshooting best practices:
Use the performance-tuning documents available on the NetBackup support Web page.
Use only a dedicated server for the NetBackup master server. Do not use a server that hosts other applications or one that stores data. Plan periodic maintenance for all of the backup servers.
Consult the Troubleshooter in the NetBackup Administration Console or the NetBackup Status Codes Reference Guide for all error conditions:
Always install the latest NetBackup release updates that are available from Veritas.
Verify all SCSI-related operating system configuration files (such as the Solaris st.conf file), when you install system release updates.
For problems with devices, consult the vendor for firmware upgrades and consult the NetBackup hardware compatibility list for supported firmware levels.
Do not use the NetBackup DISABLE_RESOURCES_BUSY touch file.
Do not disable the operating system TCP_NODELAY functionality.