Veritas Appliance Management Guide
- Configuring an appliance as an AMS
- Applying management updates on earlier appliance versions
- Managing appliances from the Home page
- Using Activity Monitor and Events
Setting the management role of an appliance as AMS
You can set the management role for a NetBackup appliance. If you want to centrally manage multiple NetBackup appliances in your environment from the Appliance Management Console, you must set the management role of the appliances. In an environment, you can have one AMS that manages multiple agents.
Review the following prerequisites before setting the management role of an appliance as AMS:
Any appliance with version 3.1 or later can be set as an Appliance Management Server (AMS). The appliance must be configured.
Veritas recommends that the AMS is configured on a master server.
You can either set the management role of an appliance as AMS or an agent and not both.
Once an appliance is set as an AMS, you cannot change the management role. The management role is reset only when a factory reset is performed on the appliance.
If you install your own certificate on the AMS or change the hostname of the AMS, then all the agents that were already registered must be added again. Similarly if you install your own certificate on the agent or change the hostname of the agent, then the agent must be added again to the AMS.
To set the management role of an appliance as AMS
- Log on to the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu. This should be the appliance that you want to set as AMS. The appliance must be version 3.1 or later.
- Navigate to the Appliance menu.
- Run the following command:
- The following message is displayed:
[INFO] The Appliance Management Server is successfully configured. Use the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu to create an appliance user (Local/LDAP/AD)with the AMS role. Log on to the NetBackup Appliance Web Console with this account.