Veritas NetBackup™ Snapshot Client Administrator's Guide
- Snapshot Client features
- About snapshot basics
- Off-host backup overview
- Off-host backup methods
- About alternate client backup
- Snapshot Client requirements
- Policy configuration
- Selecting the snapshot method
- Configuration parameters for Snapshot Client
- About using alternate client backup
- Configuring alternate client backup
- Policy configuration tips
- About disabling snapshots
- FlashBackup configuration
- Instant Recovery configuration
- About Instant Recovery
- About sizing the cache for Instant Recovery copy-on-write snapshots
- About configuring VxVM
- About storage lifecycle policies for snapshots
- Network Attached Storage (NAS) snapshot configuration
- Configuration of software-based snapshot methods
- Software-based snapshot methods
- Cache device requirements
- About VxFS_Checkpoint
- About VxVM
- About FlashSnap
- About VVR
- About VSS
- Software-based snapshot methods
- Support for Cluster Volume Manager Environments (CVM)
- Configuration of snapshot methods for disk arrays
- About the new disk array snapshot methods
- Disk array configuration tasks
- OS-specific configuration tasks
- About VSS configuration (Windows)
- About EMC CLARiiON arrays
- Configuring NetBackup to access the CLARiiON array
- Configuring a NetBackup policy for a CLARiiON array method
- About EMC Symmetrix arrays
- About configuration for EMC_TimeFinder_Mirror
- About configuration for EMC_TimeFinder_Clone
- About HP EVA arrays
- Verifying connectivity from clients to array using SSSU 5.0
- About IBM DS6000 and DS8000 arrays
- Configuring NetBackup to access the IBM DS6000 or DS8000 array
- About IBM DS4000 array
- About Hitachi SMS/WMS/AMS, USP/NSC, USP-V/VM
- Hitachi array software requirements
- About HP-XP arrays
- About array troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting issues pertaining to all arrays
- Troubleshooting IBM DS6000 and DS8000 arrays
- Troubleshooting IBM4000 arrays
- Troubleshooting Hitachi arrays
- Notes on Media Server and Third-Party Copy methods
- Backup and restore procedures
- About restores from a FlashBackup backup
- Instant Recovery restore features
- About Instant Recovery: block-level restore
- About Instant Recovery: file promotion
- About Instant Recovery: Fast File Resync (Windows clients only)
- About Instant Recovery: point in time rollback
- About configurations for restore
- About restoring from a disk snapshot
- Logging directories for UNIX platforms
- Logging folders for Windows platforms
- FlashBackup and status code 13
- Appendix A. Managing nbu_snap (Solaris)
- Appendix B. Overview of snapshot operations
- Appendix C. NetBackup integration with CloudPoint for snapshot managment
Configuring a Snapshot Client policy
To configure a Snapshot Client policy
- On the master server, open the NetBackup Administration Console.
- Click Policies and select the policy to edit.
For VMware virtual machines, select FlashBackup-Windows VMware or MS-Windows. For Hyper-V, select FlashBackup-Windows or Hyper-V.
Refer to the appropriate NetBackup guide for your virtual environment.
If client data is in a database, select the database type (DB2, Oracle, MS-Exchange-Server, MS-SQL-Server, or SAP).
NetBackup 8.2 supports off-host backup of Oracle database in the SFRAC (Storage Foundation Real Application Clusters) environment. For more details, refer to the NetBackup for Oracle System Administrator's Guide:
To use FlashBackup, select FlashBackup for UNIX clients or FlashBackup-Windows for Windows clients.
FlashBackup-Windows supports the backup and restore of NTFS files that are compressed.
The files are backed up and restored as compressed files (they are not uncompressed).
For all other cases, select Standard for UNIX clients and MS-Windows for Windows clients.
- Select a storage unit, storage unit group, or a storage lifecycle policy as the Policy storage.
- Make sure Perform snapshot backups is selected.
When you select Perform snapshot backups, the Bare Metal Restore option is disabled.
Perform snapshot backups must be selected for the policy to reference any storage lifecycle policy with a Snapshot destination.
- Optional: select the snapshot method manually.
Skip this step if you want NetBackup to select the snapshot method.
- To create a backup that enables Instant Recovery, select the Retain snapshots for instant recovery or SLP management attribute.
This attribute is required for block-level restore, file promotion, and rollback.
Help for creating a policy for instant recovery backups is available.
- To reduce the processing load on the client, select Perform off-host backup.
- To save these settings, click Apply.
- To define a schedule, use the Schedules tab, and to specify the clients, use the Clients tab .
Regarding clients: only one snapshot method can be configured per policy. To select one snapshot method for clients a, b, and c, and a different method for clients d, e, and f: create a separate policy for each group of clients and select one method per policy. You may be able to avoid this restriction using the auto method.
- To specify the files to be backed up, use the Backup Selections tab .
- On the Policy Attributes tab: if you click Apply or OK, a validation process checks the policy and reports any errors. If you click Close, no validation is performed.