An installation, backup, or restore job fails to complete successfully and a support case potentially needs to be opened for the issue.
Below are the some initial items to provide to Support to help resolve an issue quickly.
1. What is the Issue or Question?
2. What is the Error message?
3. Has this ever worked before?
4. Does a similar job/function work or does it also fail?
5. Update Backup Exec (BE). Run Live Update twice and make sure all updates are applied.
How to update Backup Exec - http://www.veritas.com/docs/000036756
6. Download and run Veritas QuickAssist - http://www.veritas.com/docs/000076764
a. Login to the server as the User ID the Backup Exec services are running as (with the exception of the Remote Agent, which runs as Local System Account).
b. Resolve any issues found and run the tool again.
c. Have the results ready to submit support if a case has to be opened.
7. For Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) reproduce the issue and send the related logs.
8. After updating BE, any Remote Agents (RAWS) will need the updates applied with a Push or Local install.
9. Next set debug on BE and the Remote Servers. Use the How to Debug Backup Exec document for the steps - http://www.veritas.com/docs/000087598
10. Run the job and reproduce the issue.
11. Send the Job Log -
BE Job Log - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH22875
CPS Job Report - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000031596
12. Send a log collection from Each Server.
Use Veritas QuickAssist (VQA) to collect and upload the logs to the FTP server.
VQA - http://www.veritas.com/docs/000076764
Older BE versions can use the VXGather tool - http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041881
Both utilities have selections for the log collections. In addition to the default selections, add selections for the type of job being done.