Veritas CloudPoint Administrator's Guide
- Getting started with CloudPoint
- Section I. Installing and configuring CloudPoint
- Preparing for installation
- Deploying CloudPoint
- Deploying CloudPoint in the AWS cloud
- About CloudPoint support for AWS IAM roles
- About the CloudPoint AWS CloudFormation template
- Using plug-ins to discover assets
- Configuring off-host plug-ins
- AWS plug-in configuration notes
- Google Cloud Platform plug-in configuration notes
- Microsoft Azure plug-in configuration notes
- HPE RMC plug-in configuration notes
- NetApp plug-in configuration notes
- Hitachi plug-in configuration notes
- InfiniBox plug-in configuration notes
- About CloudPoint plug-ins and assets discovery
- Configuring the on-host agents and plug-ins
- Oracle plug-in configuration notes
- Protecting assets with CloudPoint's agentless feature
- Preparing for installation
- Section II. Configuring users
- Setting up email and adding users
- Assigning roles to users for greater efficiency
- Section III. Protecting and managing data
- User interface basics
- Indexing and classifying your assets
- Protecting your assets with policies
- Tag-based asset protection
- Replicating snapshots for added protection
- Managing your assets
- About snapshot restore
- Single file restore requirements and limitations
- Additional steps required after a SQL Server snapshot restore
- Monitoring activities with notifications and the job log
- Protection and disaster recovery
- Section IV. Maintaining CloudPoint
- CloudPoint logging
- Troubleshooting CloudPoint
- Working with your CloudPoint license
- Managing CloudPoint agents and plug-ins
- Upgrading CloudPoint
- Uninstalling CloudPoint
- Section V. Reference
- Storage array support
- Dell EMC Unity arrays
- Pure Storage FlashArray
- Working with CloudPoint using APIs
- Storage array support
Understanding your CloudPoint license
Your CloudPoint license determines the CloudPoint features you can use, the amount and kind of data you can protect, and the time for which you can continue to protect that data. CloudPoint offers various licensing options to choose from depending on your requirement.
If you want to explore CloudPoint features and functionality, the following options are available:
The Freemium license is a perpetual free license that does not expire and gives you a chance to try out a subset of the CloudPoint features in your on-premise or preferred cloud environment. This license lets you protect up to 10 TB of front-end terabyte data (FETB).
The Evaluation license is a time-bound license that is valid for 60 days and allows you to try out all of the CloudPoint features in your on-premise or preferred cloud environment. This license lets you protect up to 1024 TB of front-end terabyte data (FETB).
After installing CloudPoint when you perform the initial CloudPoint configuration, you are presented with a choice to activate one of these licensing options. You must pick one of the licenses to complete the configuration and begin using CloudPoint.
If you need more advanced features, you can upgrade the Freemium or Evaluation license to a suitable paid license and unlock the bundle that is right for you. CloudPoint offers the following types of paid licenses:
The Enterprise edition is a fully-featured offering that is available as a perpetual as well as a subscription-based license. This license allows you to use all of the CloudPoint features in your preferred on-premise or cloud environments. This license includes features such as application-consistent snapshots of your Oracle database, SQL Server, or MongoDB workloads, indexing, and classification.
The on-prem edition is a subset of the Enterprise edition and is available as a perpetual as well as a subscription-based license. This license enables you to discover the storage arrays and take crash-consistent snapshots of the on-premise assets.
This license is created specifically for CloudPoint deployments that are integrated with Veritas NetBackup. You can use this license to leverage your existing NetBackup license entitlement and perform snapshot-based data protection in your on-premise environment.
Install a perpetual or subscription-based license depending on the NetBackup license. Unlike the Enterprise license, you cannot use this license to protect assets in your cloud environment.
The in-cloud edition is also a subset of the Enterprise edition and is available as a perpetual as well as a subscription-based license. This license enables you to connect and discover the assets in Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and Microsoft Azure cloud environments and take application-consistent snapshots of the workloads running on them.
Install this license if you want to use the entitled CloudPoint features in your preferred cloud environment. Unlike the Enterprise license, you cannot use this license to protect assets in your on-premise environment.
More about perpetual and subscription licenses
All the paid licenses are available in both perpetual and subscription-based options. The perpetual licenses do not expire and are metered based on the FETB storage capacity. If the storage utilization reaches the maximum entitled capacity, you have to upgrade the license and expand the storage capacity to continue protecting newer assets.
Subscription-based licenses are time-bound and have to be renewed (or upgraded in case of an Evaluation license) at the end of their expiry date. Time-bound licenses are metered based on the amount of FETB storage capacity and the subscription validity period. If the license expires or the storage utilization has reached the maximum entitled limit, you have to renew or upgrade the license and expand the storage capacity to continue protecting newer assets.
The Enterprise edition (both perpetual and subscription-based license) is also available based on the number of workload instances that you want to protect.
If you are integrating CloudPoint with Veritas NetBackup, the existing CloudPoint licenses and the corresponding features will work as is. A separate license is not required.
The licensing options and feature entitlements described here are indicative and are subject to change. For the latest information on CloudPoint licensing, pricing, and procurement, contact your Veritas sales representative or refer to the following: