In this scenario, error messages will be present in Enterprise Vault (EV) when using web based activities. Each of the messages are related to the same reported issue.
- When using Archive Explorer to search an archived mailbox the error The XML returned for the tree view is not as expected. (500) is generated.
- When navigating to http:\\localhost\EnterpriseVault on the EV server the message The Enterprise Vault service is not available. will be displayed instead of the EV splash.
- When trying to retrieve archived items from OWA. The Enterprise Vault Service is not available.
Event ID: 8390
Task Category: Web Application (WP)
Description: The EnterpriseVault.DirectoryConnection object reported an error. Unspecified error
Event ID: 40966
Task Category: None
Description: A program fault has raised an exception. Exception: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component. Diagnostic: HRESULT: 80004005 Type: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
To determine if this is the issue a DTRACE is needed, please perform the following steps on the EV server with the issue.
- For more information about Symantec Enterprise Vault’s Dtrace Utility please see HOWTO57893
- Dtrace the process W3WP for no less than 5 minutes while re-creating the issue
- Open the log file created and search for either of the following the strings:
One of the causes has been found to be an issue with the Microsoft Operating System file called Services. Either the file is missing or has been edited or corrupted in some way. There has also been diagnosis of a bad ODBC connector as well as malformed binaries.
Perform in sequence testing for a resolution after each step
- Copy the %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\services file from a functioning Windows server to the EV server with the issue and reboot
- Verify SQL Connectivity to the EnterpriseVaultDirectory. Please validate the operating system version of the EV server before proceeding. Note: Location difference based upon OS of the server:
- 32bit Server open this file c:\Windows\system32\odbcad32.exe
- 64bit Server open this file c:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
- Select the System DSN tab
- Highlight the EnterpriseVaultDirectory DSN connection and click the Configure.
- Click Next through the Wizard to the final screen and then click the Test Data Source
- Verify the tests succeed or resolve any connectivity issues if the tests fail.
- Stop all Enterprise Vault services and run the command iisreset /noforce to restart the IIS services.