Backup Exec 21 Administrator's Guide
- Introducing Backup Exec
- Methods for installing the Agent for Windows
- Using a command prompt to install the Agent for Windows on a remote computer
- Using a command script to install the Agent for Windows
- Installing the Remote Administrator
- Installing Backup Exec using the command line (silent mode)
- Updating Backup Exec with Veritas Update
- Backup Exec license contract information
- About upgrading to Backup Exec
- Getting Started
- Backing up data
- How Backup Exec catalogs work
- Job management and monitoring
- About the Job Monitor
- About the Job History
- Viewing the job log
- Error-handling rules for failed or canceled jobs
- Alerts and notifications
- Enabling active alerts and alert history to display on the Home tab
- Adding a recipient group for alert notifications
- Sending a notification when a job completes
- SNMP traps for Backup Exec alerts
- Disk-based and network-based storage
- Configuring disk storage
- Configuring disk cartridge storage
- Backup sets
- Cloud-based storage devices
- Amazon S3 cloud-based storage
- Google cloud-based storage
- Microsoft Azure cloud-based storage
- Private cloud-based storage
- About S3-Compatible Cloud Storage
- About the Backup Exec™ CloudConnect Optimizer
- Legacy backup-to-disk folders
- Legacy backup-to-disk folders
- Legacy backup-to-disk folders
- Tape storage
- Robotic libraries in Backup Exec
- Creating robotic library partitions
- Managing tapes
- Creating media sets for tapes
- Labeling tape media
- Default media vaults
- Storage device pools
- Storage operations
- Conversion to virtual machines
- Configuration and settings
- Changing network and security options for Backup Exec
- Using Backup Exec with firewalls
- Deleting DBA-initiated job templates
- Backup Exec logon accounts
- Creating a custom report
- List of Backup Exec standard reports
- Instant Cloud Recovery
- Preconfigurations to be completed in the Azure portal
- GDPR Guard
- Troubleshooting Backup Exec
- Troubleshooting failed components in the SAN
- Generating a diagnostic file for troubleshooting Backup Exec
- Using Backup Exec in cluster environments
- Configurations for Backup Exec and Microsoft Cluster Servers
- Disaster recovery of a cluster
- Simplified Disaster Recovery
- Setting or changing the alternate location for the disaster recovery information file
- Creating a Simplified Disaster Recovery disk image
- Preparing to recover from a disaster by using Simplified Disaster Recovery
- Recovering a computer with Simplified Disaster Recovery
- Performing manual disaster recovery
- Integration with Veritas™ Information Map
- Integration with Veritas SaaS Backup
- Forever Incremental Backup
- Appendix A. Backup Exec Agent for Windows
- About the Backup Exec Agent Utility for Windows
- Appendix B. Backup Exec Deduplication Feature
- Creating or importing deduplication disk storage
- Selecting storage devices for direct access sharing
- Appendix C. Backup Exec Agent for VMware
- About establishing trust for a vCenter/ESX(i) server
- Backing up VMware virtual machines
- About instant recovery of a VMware virtual machine
- About Recovery Ready for VMware virtual machines
- Appendix D. Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V
- Backing up Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines
- About instant recovery of a Hyper-V virtual machine
- About Recovery Ready for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Appendix E. Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SQL Server
- Backing up SQL databases and transaction logs
- Restoring SQL databases and transaction logs
- Disaster recovery of a SQL Server
- Appendix F. Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
- Backing up Exchange data
- Appendix G. Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft SharePoint
- Backing up Microsoft SharePoint data
- Appendix H. Backup Exec Agent for Oracle on Windows or Linux Servers
- Configuring the Oracle Agent on Windows computers and Linux servers
- Configuring an Oracle instance on Windows computers
- Viewing an Oracle instance on Windows computers
- About authentication credentials on the Backup Exec server
- About backing up Oracle databases
- About restoring Oracle resources
- Appendix I. Backup Exec Agent for Enterprise Vault
- About backup methods for Enterprise Vault backup jobs
- Restoring Enterprise Vault
- About the Backup Exec Migrator for Enterprise Vault
- Configuring the Backup Exec Migrator
- Configuring Enterprise Vault collections
- Configuring the Backup Exec Migrator to communicate with Enterprise Vault
- About retrieving migrated Enterprise Vault data
- About the Partition Recovery Utility
- Appendix J. Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Active Directory
- About backing up Active Directory and ADAM/AD LDS
- Appendix K. Backup Exec Central Admin Server Feature
- About installing the Central Admin Server feature
- What happens when CAS communication thresholds are reached
- About job delegation in CAS
- How to use Backup Exec server pools in CAS
- How centralized restore works in CAS
- Appendix L. Backup Exec Advanced Disk-based Backup Feature
- Appendix M. Backup Exec NDMP Feature
- About restoring and redirecting restore data for NDMP servers
- Viewing the properties of an NDMP server
- Viewing storage properties for an NDMP server
- Appendix N. Backup Exec Agent for Linux
- About installing the Agent for Linux
- About establishing trust for a remote Linux computer in the Backup Exec list of servers
- Editing configuration options for Linux computers
- About backing up a Linux computer by using the Agent for Linux
- About restoring data to Linux computers
- Editing the default backup job options for Linux computers
- Uninstalling the Agent for Linux
- Appendix O. Backup Exec Remote Media Agent for Linux
- About installing the Remote Media Agent for Linux
- About establishing trust for a Remote Media Agent for Linux computer in the Backup Exec list of servers
- About the Backup Exec operators (beoper) group for the Remote Media Agent for Linux
- About adding a Linux server as a Remote Media Agent for Linux
- Editing properties for the Remote Media Agent for Linux
- Creating a simulated tape library
- Viewing simulated tape libraries properties
- Appendix P. Accessibility and Backup Exec
- About keyboard shortcuts in Backup Exec
- Backup and Restore tab keyboard shortcuts
- Storage tab keyboard shortcuts
List of Backup Exec standard reports
This section provides detailed information about each standard report that is available in Backup Exec. The data that appears on each report varies depending on the criteria you selected to include in the report.
The following standard reports are included in Backup Exec:
Table: Backup Exec standard reports
Lists all alerts in the alert history chronologically, displaying the most recent alerts first
See Alert History report.
Alert History by Backup Exec server
Lists all alerts in the alert history, grouped and filtered by Backup Exec server, displaying the most recent alerts first.
Lists the contents of the audit logs for selected servers for the specified time period.
See Audit Log report.
Backup Job Success Rate
Lists the success rate for backup jobs run to back up selected servers.
Lists any recommendations that can help you to better manage your backups.
Backup Resource Success Rate
Lists the success rate for backup jobs for specified past number of days for resources on selected servers.
Backup Sets by Media Set
Lists all backup sets by media set.
Backup Size by Resource
Lists the backup size for each resource job for up to seven previous runs and then computes the trailing average for up to seven previous runs for each job run.
Cloud Storage Summary
Displays the summary of the size of cloud storage that the backed up data uses on the Backup Exec server.
Daily Device Utilization
Lists the percentage of the storage devices' capacity that the Backup Exec server uses.
Deduplication device summary
Displays a summary of the deduplication operations for local deduplication disk storage and shared deduplication disk storage.
Displays a deduplication summary for all of the deduplication jobs that run on the Backup Exec server.
Lists the device usage and error summary for each selected Backup Exec server.
Disk Storage Summary
Displays disk-based usage statistics for Backup Exec server disk storage.
Lists all the defined error-handling rules.
Lists all events that were received by each notification recipient.
Failed Backup Jobs
Lists all the failed backup jobs, sorted by the resource server and time frame.
Lists all the jobs that ran within the last 72 hours in chronological order.
Lists the jobs that ran in Veritas SaaS Backup.
See Jobs Summary report.
Managed Backup Exec Servers
Lists the status and configuration for all Backup Exec servers that are managed by a central administration server.
Lists the recent media configuration changes.
See Media Audit report.
Lists the number of errors that occur on all media.
See Media Errors report.
Media Required for Recovery
Lists the media that contain the backup sets for each system that is backed up on selected servers for the specified time period. This report can be inaccurate if media overwrite settings allow the media to be overwritten.
Lists all the media sets and media that are used by Backup Exec servers. The current location is given for each media. Also lists usage statistics for media and the location of media within Backup Exec media sets.
See Media Summary report.
Media Vault Contents
Lists the media that are located in each media vault.
Move Media to Vault
Lists all media that can be moved to a media vault. The listed media are not currently in a media vault and the media's append period has expired.
Lists past and future operations data for user-set period.
Lists the results of backup jobs for each resource during the last 24 hours. This report includes backup jobs that were scheduled to run but did not run. Jobs are given a grace period of 24 hours before they are marked as past due.
Lists all the problem files that are reported for jobs. The files are grouped by day and resource.
See Problem Files report.
Recently Written Media
Lists all media that have been modified in the last 24 hours.
Recovery Ready Validation Summary
Lists the backup sets for which the Validate Virtual Machine for Recovery jobs are run.
Resource Protected Recently
Lists all job detail statistics and exceptions that occurred on a Backup Exec server for which you run this report.
Resource Risk Assessment
Lists job information for resources on which the last backup job run on the resource failed. The data is filtered by resource server.
Restore Set Details by Resource
Lists all restore sets that ran within the last 72 hours. The sets are grouped by the server and resource.
Retrieve Media from Vault
Lists all reusable media currently in the specified vault.
Robotic Library Inventory
Lists the contents of slots in robotic libraries that are attached to Backup Exec servers. Usage statistics are provided for each piece of media.
Scheduled Server Workload
Lists the estimated scheduled workload for the next 24-hour period by server.
Scratch Media Availability
Lists the aging distribution of media. Shows how many media are available for overwrite and when other media will become available for overwrite.
Test Run Results
Lists the results for the test run jobs that are set for the selected time period and Backup Exec servers.
See Running a report now.