Veritas NetBackup™ for Hyper-V Administrator's Guide
- Notes and prerequisites
- Configure NetBackup communication with Hyper-V
- Configure NetBackup policies for Hyper-V
- Hyper-V backup options
- Hyper-V - Advanced Attributes
- Configuration parameters for Hyper-V
- Browse for Hyper-V virtual machines
- Configure Hyper-V Intelligent Policies
- NetBackup Hyper-V for SCVMM
- Windows Server failover cluster support
- Virtual machine maintenance after a restore
- Back up and restore Hyper-V
- Restoring individual Hyper-V files to a shared location on the virtual machine
- Use Accelerator to back up Hyper-V
- Best practices and more information
- NetBackup logs for Hyper-V and how to create them
- Errors during policy creation
- NetBackup status codes related to Hyper-V
- Appendix A. VSS backup method: Hyper-V online and offline backups
- Appendix B. Hyper-V pass-through disks
- Appendix C. NetBackup commands to back up and restore Hyper-V virtual machines
- Examples of nbrestorevm for restoring VMs to Hyper-V
Snapshot error encountered (status code 156)
The following table describes the Hyper-V issues that relate to NetBackup status code 156.
Table: Possible causes of status code 156
Causes of status code 156
Description and recommended action
The virtual machine name is incorrectly specified in the NetBackup policy.
A mismatch may exist between the virtual machine names that are specified on the policy Clients tab and the actual names on the Hyper-V server. Check the actual names as listed in the Hyper-V Manager on the Hyper-V server.
The following are the recommended actions:
Volumes on the virtual machine are almost full.
Volumes on the virtual machine do not have enough free space for the snapshot. Microsoft recommends that at least 10% of the virtual machine volume is available for the snapshot.
Recommended action: create more space on the volume.
The Hyper-V integration component is absent.
The Hyper-V integration component is not properly installed in the virtual machine.
The VSS framework in the virtual machine does not work properly
The following application error event may be written to the virtual machine during backup:
Event Type: Error Event Source: VSS Event Category: None Event ID: 12302 Date: 1/8/2009 Time: 1:36:21 AM User: N/A Computer: ARTICTALEVM8 Description: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected in trying to contact shadow copy service writers. Please check to see that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating properly. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Recommended action: Run the vssadmin list writers command.
If no writer is listed in the output and a similar error is logged, refer to the following to resolve this issue:
A CSV timeout occurred
The bpfis log contains the following:
VssNode::prepareCsvsForBackup: CSV TimeOut expired, Not all required CSV available in required state.
One or more or the required cluster shared volumes (CSV) cannot be prepared in the specified timeout period. A current backup that started from another node needs one or more of the same CSVs.
Increase the Cluster shared volumes timeout period and rerun the backup, or try the backup at another time.
A local disk has been added to a VM that is on CSV
For a successful backup of a virtual machine on a CSV, the virtual machine must use CSV volumes only. If a local disk on the Hyper-V server (not a CSV volume) is added to the virtual machine, the backup fails.
Reconfigure the virtual machine to use CSV volumes only, and rerun the backup.
Theoption is disabled
The bpfis log contains the following:
VssNode::prepare Backup type of VM [<VM GUID>] will be OFFLINE and configuration parameter allowOfflineBackup] is not set. To backup this VM, set [allowOfflineBackup] configuration parameter.
NetBackup is not allowed to perform an offline backup of the virtual machine, because theoption is disabled.