Veritas Enterprise Vault™ Discovery Accelerator Administrator's Guide
- Introducing Discovery Accelerator
- Introducing the Discovery Accelerator client
- Setting up and assigning roles
- About the Discovery Accelerator permissions
- Working with cases
- Implementing analytics in Discovery Accelerator cases
- Setting up review marks and tags
- Using rules to mark and tag items automatically
- Creating analytics rules
- Manually editing queries in analytics rule definition language (RDL)
- Using Custodian Manager
- Searching for items
- Defining email targets with Address Manager
- Building Discovery Accelerator search schedules
- Manually reviewing items
- Searching within the review set
- Working with research folders
- Exporting and producing items
- Creating and viewing reports
- Available Discovery Accelerator reports
- About viewing Discovery Accelerator datasets using the OData web service
- Appendix A. Customizing Discovery Accelerator
- Setting Discovery Accelerator system configuration options
- Setting Discovery Accelerator system configuration options
- Appendix B. Importing configuration data from an XML file
- Appendix C. Enterprise Vault properties for use in Discovery Accelerator searches
- Appendix D. Troubleshooting
- Issues with Discovery Accelerator reports
Performing an export or production run
If you want to review items offline or present them in evidence to a third party, you must export them from Discovery Accelerator. There are several output formats from which to choose, including PST, Domino NSF database, HTML, MSG, and ZIP. Export to HTML if you want to export both the item itself and its action status history. This history identifies the reviewers who displayed a preview or printable version of the item, downloaded the original version of the item, or marked it, and the date and time at which they did so.
As well as exporting the selected items, Discovery Accelerator also outputs some reports in HTML, plain-text, and XML formats. All three reports list the items that you have exported, and the HTML report provides hyperlinks to the items.
To perform an export or production run
- Click the Cases tab in the Discovery Accelerator client.
- In the left pane, click the case from which you want to export items.
If Discovery Accelerator lists a lot of cases, you can filter the list with the fields at the top of the pane. As well as filtering the cases by name, you can choose whether to list any research folders that are associated with them.
- Click the Export/Production tab.
- Click New at the top of the window.
The Export Details pane appears.
- In the Name box, type a name for the run.
The name that you specify here becomes the name of the subfolder in which Discovery Accelerator stores the output from the run.
- In the Output folder box, type the path to the folder on the Discovery Accelerator server in which you want to store the output from the run.
The folder path can contain up to 100 characters.
Discovery Accelerator places the output from the run in a subfolder of the nominated folder.
- Choose whether to produce or export the selected items.
If you select Production, a Production Details box appears in which you can set the ID prefix and starting sequence number for the production. You may have set this when you created the case, but you can change it here. The prefix can contain up to 10 characters, but it cannot include space characters or symbols such as \ / * ? | < and >.
- In the Items Selection box, choose the items that you want to export.
The options are as follows:
Specifies the ID of an individual item that you want to export. To determine the ID of an item, view the item in the Review pane.
Selects items by their type, such as Microsoft Exchange or Domino.
Selects items by the policy action with which your policy management software has tagged them.
This action can be one of the following: Inclusion (demands or suggests capture), Exclusion (precludes capture or advocates non-capture), and No Action (the item is subject to normal random sampling).
Specifies whether to export all the items in the review set or only those items that are assigned to you.
Selects items that the specified search has captured.
Selects items by the mark that reviewers have assigned to them.
Last marked by
Selects items by the person who last assigned a review mark to them.
Selects items by their status, such as Pending, Questioned, or Reviewed.
Selects items by the specific policy with which your policy management software has tagged them.
- In the Options box, check Exclude duplicate items or Exclude similar items, if required. Discovery Accelerator considers items to be duplicates when they have exactly the same content. The items that Discovery Accelerator considers to be similar have the same metadata properties, such as their author display names, subjects, and number of attachments.
The option to exclude duplicate items is available only in cases that you have enabled for analytics. The option to exclude similar items is available only in cases that you have not enabled for analytics.
For more information on the deduplication features in Discovery Accelerator, see the Accelerator Deduplication white paper. This is available from the following page of the Veritas Support website:
- Check Include journal recipients in reports if you want the export reports to include recipient information from the journal envelope (P1) of Exchange or SMTP journal items. This lists all the recipients of each item, regardless of their placement in the To, CC and BCC fields.
Discovery Accelerator does not include recipient information from Domino journal items.
- Choose whether to export the items in their original format, as HTML, or collected in a ZIP file.
If you click Original Type, you can choose to output Microsoft Exchange items as individual MSG files and SMTP items as individual EML files, or encapsulate them all in a single Personal Folders (
If you click PST, Discovery Accelerator displays some additional options with which you can set a password and a maximum roll-over size for the file. The password can contain alphanumeric characters only. The default size of each PST file is 600 MB, and it cannot exceed 20 GB.
If you click HTML, Discovery Accelerator displays some additional options with which you can choose to include comments and action status history. This history identifies the reviewers who displayed a preview or printable version of each item, downloaded the original version of the item, or marked it, and the date and time at which they did so.
You must set the configuration option "Log preview actions in item history" to log when reviewers display previews or printable versions of items or download the items in their original form.
If you click Zip, you can set a maximum roll-over size for each ZIP file. The default is 1024 MB (1 GB).
You can export all types of items to a ZIP file. However, if you choose to export Domino items, Discovery Accelerator collects them first into a Domino NSF database and then adds this to the ZIP file.
- In the Number of items to export box, type the required number of items. Note that Discovery Accelerator exports the oldest items. For example, if you choose to export 100 items, Discovery Accelerator exports the 100 oldest items that match the selected options.
If you have chosen to exclude duplicate items or similar items, they do not count towards the number of exported items. Discovery Accelerator exports the specified number of unique items only.
- If you are exporting file system items or Domino items and want to make them read-only so that they cannot be changed or accidentally deleted, check Read Only.
- Click Apply.
- When the run has finished, open the output folder on the Discovery Accelerator server to retrieve the exported items. This folder also includes the reports that list the items that you have exported.