Configuring Optimized Synthetic Backups to NetBackup Deduplication Pools.
The following procedure explains how to configure the NetBackup Deduplication Pool to store NetBackup optimized synthetic full backups. Some steps in the procedure are written in general terms. The following publications provide more information about general steps in this procedure:
- The NetBackup Deduplication Guide
- The NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume 1
- The NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume 2
Here NetBackup Deduplication Pool can be any of the following.
- Deduplication Pools in NetBackup appliances (NetBackup 5200 series, NetBackup 5000 series)
- Media Server Deduplication Pool (MSDP)
- NetBackup PureDisk Deduplication Option(PDDO) Pool
To configure the NetBackup Deduplication Pool to store NetBackup optimized synthetic full backups:
1 If NetBackup version is 7.0 or higher, skip to step 3.
Install and configure the PureDisk agent as a PureDisk Deduplication Option (PDDO) plug-in on a NetBackup media server.
More information is available.
- See "About installing the PDDO plug-in on a NetBackup Linux media server or a NetBackup Solaris SPARC media server" on page 25 of the Symantec NetBackup PureDisk Deduplication Option Guide.
- See "About installing the PDDO plug-in on a Windows media server" on page 33 of the Symantec NetBackup PureDisk Deduplication Option Guide.
2 Configure the PureDisk storage pool to be all of the following NetBackup components. Make sure to configure the components in the order shown in the following list:
- A NetBackup storage server
The PDDO plug-in installation instructions instruct you to run the pddocfg command near the end of the installation procedure. The pddocfg command configures the PureDisk storage pool as a NetBackup storage server.
- A NetBackup disk pool and a NetBackup storage unit
See "Configuring the NetBackup disk pool and storage unit in the NetBackup Java interface" on page 44 of the Symantec NetBackup PureDisk Deduplication Option Guide.
See "Configuring the NetBackup disk pool and storage unit in the NetBackup Windows interface" on page 46 of the Symantec NetBackup PureDisk Deduplication Option Guide.
3 Type the following command to add the OptimizedImage flag to each NetBackup storage server that needs to support optimized synthetic backups:
nbdevconfig -changests -stype PureDisk -storage_server ss_name -setattribute OptimizedImage
For ss_name, make sure to type the name of the storage server as you configured it in NetBackup.
4 Type the following command to add the OptimizedImage flag to each NetBackup disk pool that needs to support optimized synthetic backups:
nbdevconfig -changedp -stype PureDisk -dp dp_name -setattribute OptimizedImage
For dp_name, make sure to type the name of the disk pool as you configured it in NetBackup.
As this procedure shows, make sure to add the OptimizedImage flag to the storage server first and then to the disk pool.
5 (Optional) Type the following commands on the media server to confirm that the OptimizedImage flag is set:
nbdevquery -liststs -U
nbdevquery -listdp -U
6 Use the NetBackup interface to create a backup policy that includes full, incremental, and synthetic full backup schedules.
When you configure the backups, make sure to configure them in the following order:
- On the Change Policy Wizard dialog box's Attributes tab, check Collect true image restore information and check with move detection.
- On the Add Schedule dialog box's Attributes tab, check Synthetic backup.
- On the Scheduling tab, make sure to configure the full backup and the incremental backup to run before the synthetic full backup schedule runs.
7 After the backups run, examine the NetBackup Job Details information for the synthetic full backup schedule, and confirm that the optimized synthetic operation was performed.
The NetBackup Job Details information includes the line Performing Optimized Synthetic Operation when NetBackup runs an optimized synthetic backup.