Attempt to launch setup.exe while installing BEWS fails with the error below (Figure 1)
You must reboot this system to complete a previous installation or uninstall of Symantec Backup Exec For Windows Servers .After rebooting, run the setup program to continue with the installation.
1. Clear all Temp files
2. Clear all temporary internet files
3. Backup the contents of HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations and delete the contents
4. Check for the following registry HKLM\Software\Classes\Software\Symantec\Reboot Install and HKLM\Software\Classes\Software\Veritas\Reboot delete the Reboot subkey.
5. Run MSI cleanup utility on the list of application install verify there are no blank spaces showing in the list of install applications.
6. If there any blank space select the space and remove it .
7. Download and run registry cleanup utility .
8. Reboot the server once.
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes