The information in this technote applies to the following scenarios:
- How to reinstall Backup Exec on the same server while saving settings, job definitions and catalog information.
Do not follow this procedure if any of the following are true :
- If upgrading from one version/revision (build) of Backup Exec to another.
- If planning to move Backup Exec to a different server.
- If the deduplication option is installed
The main components of Backup Exec configuration exist in 3 Files / Folders :
1. Data folder ( Location <Root>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ )
2. Catalogs ( Location <Root>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\ )
- License key information file (Locations see TECH87335
1. Use servicesmgr.exe to stop all the Backup Exec services (Location <root>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\).
2. Stop the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)' Service from the Windows services console. ( Start - Run - Services.msc )
3. Open the root directory where Backup Exec is installed (Default location is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec) , and Copy the Data and Catalogs folder to a temporary location.
4. License keys can be retained by Searching for the "Besernum.xml" file from Windows explorer and saving a copy in a safe location.
5. Uninstall Backup Exec from Add / Remove programs ( Programs and Features for Windows 2008/Vista/7 ) and reboot.( Refer to the tech note in Related Documents section for information on how to uninstall Backup Exec.)
6. Install Backup Exec ( To add License Keys, select 'import' or re-type them using the retained copy of the "Besernum.xml" file previously saved during Step 4 ).
7. Use servicesmgr.exe to stop all the Backup Exec services.
8. Stop the 'SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)' Service from the Windows services console.
9. Navigate to '<root>:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\' and replace the Data and Catalogs folder with the ones that were previously saved.
10. Start the SQL Server (BKUPEXEC) service, then use servicesmgr.exe to start all Backup Exec services.