How to move the Index location to a different Enterprise Vault (EV) server in the same site.
There may be an instance where indexes will need to be managed by a different Enterprise Vault server in the same site. This can be done for all archives or can be changed for just one archive.
1. Back up the SQL databases and the EV server.
2. In the EV Administration Console, change the description of the Enterprise Vault Indexing Service to identify the indexing service that should be moved.
3. Stop all EV services on both servers.
4. If the index storage location is presented to the old server, and can be moved to the new server, then this should be done prior to updating SQL. When possible the drive letter should remain the same on the new server. If the index storage cannot be moved, such as index locations targeted via UNC path, then copy the contents of the index location from the old index server to an existing index location on the new index server. This location should be created before copying the indexes to the new server by using the Index Locations tab on the Properties page of the Enterprise Vault Indexing Service within the Vault Administration Console.
SELECT CE.ComputerNameAlternate, IRP.IndexRootPathEntryID, IRP.IndexRootPath, ISE.ServiceEntryID, ISE.Description
FROM ComputerEntry CE, IndexingServiceEntry ISE, IndexRootPathEntry IRP
WHERE CE.ComputerEntryID = ISE.ComputerEntryID AND ISE.ServiceEntryID = IRP.IndexServiceEntryID
new ServiceEntryId should be replaced with the ServiceEntryId value returned for the new index server in step 4b.
old ServiceEntryId should be replaced with the ServiceEntryId value returned for the old index server in step 4b.
SET IndexServiceEntryId = 'new ServiceEntryId'
WHERE (IndexServiceEntryId = 'old ServiceEntryId')
6. Start all EV services.
Change the index location for one archive
1. Right-click the list of index volumes and, on the shortcut menu, click Select All. Alternatively, multiple index volumes can be selected as follows:
- To select single index volumes, hold down Ctrl and then click the index volumes.
- To select a group of index volumes, click the first index volume then hold down Shift while clicking the index volume in the group.
2. Right-click the selected index volumes and, on the shortcut menu, click Set Index Volume Offline. There is a warning that index volumes cannot be searched when they are offline. Click Yes. There is a confirmation that the operation has been queued. Click OK. The status of the index volume changes to Offline.
5. When the copy has completed, change back to the Index Volumes tab of the Archive properties and select Change Location.
6. On the Index Volume Location dialog, select the Index Server that manages the new location and then select the location where the index folder(s) was copied. Click OK. The index location will be changed and all the index volumes are automatically set to online.
7. Rename the original 'Location'\'ArchiveID' folders until the new index folders have been validated then these old folders may be deleted.