Enterprise Vault stores individual items as files with a .DVS extension. This article describes the name and path conventions for these files and how to locate them on disk, for items that were originally archived by Enterprise Vault 2007 and earlier. (For items archived by Enterprise Vault 8 and later, see this article.)
For Microsoft Exchange archiving follow the steps below (not applicable when Vault Store partition is located on EMC Centera):
1. Open Microsoft Outlook and select the archived item.
2. Press CTRL + SHIFT and left-click any one of the EV toolbar buttons to open the EV Diagnostic window.
3. Click the Vault Information button.
4. In the section titled Selected Item Properties, scroll down to the Saveset ID. A character string should be displayed similar to:
The path to the file is indicated in the second sequence of the Saveset ID/file name. In the example above, this file is located in the partition folder under \2008\12\04\22.
Note: The file may not be in the expected location when collections are enabled on the Vault Store partition. Open the properties of the Vault Store partition to determine the collections status of the Vault Store partition:
When Collections is enabled, the Collection Identity for the Saveset is recorded in the Vault Store database. The Collection files are located in the "day" folder of the partition using the naming convention, CollectionXX.CAB, where XX is the Collection Identity.
To determine the Collection Identity:
JOIN Collection ON Collection.CollectionIdentity = Saveset.CollectionIdentity
For FSA (File System Archiving) follow the steps below:
1. On the target file server open up a command prompt and type:
fsutil reparsepoint query "c:\directoryName\shortcutname.ext" - where shortcutname.ext is the name of the File Placeholder (shortcut).
2. On the right side of the output the name of the associated .DVS file will be visible after "SavesetID=". It is necessary to remove all the dots (.) in between the numbers.
3. The last characters of the name will be ~0.
4. The .DVS file is located in the corresponding Vault Store Partition location.