An error occurred retrieving the WMI Repository data directory. The WMI Repository could not be backed up.
Final error: 0xe000fe6f - An error occurred while retrieving the Microsoft Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) data directory. The WMI repository could not be backed up.
Final error category: Other Errors
On the server having an error related with WMI:
1.Go to Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services
2. Find the WMI service and verify whether the startup type is set to Automatic and its status to Started
If the issue persists, then try to back up WMI manually:
1. Right-click on My Computer and click Manage
2. Expand Services and Applications in the left window pane
3. Right-click on WMI control and click on Properties
4. Click on the Backup/Restore tab and then click Back Up Now
5. Type in a name for the file in the File Name field and click Open
If this generates any kind of error during the backup, then it could be a WMI database related issue. Microsoft Support should be contacted for immediate attention.
If Windows backs up the WMI data successfully, then follow these steps:
Check the physical space on the C:\ drive where WMI data resides, make sure at least 1GB of free space is available.
Perform the backup again.
If the issue is unresolved, follow these steps.
1. Go to start | Run | cmd
2. Type "net stop winmgmt"
3. Type "cd %windir%\system32\wbem"
4. Type "ren repository repository.old"
5. Type "net start winmgmt"
6. Reboot the server. (Recommended not necessary).
This process will rebuild WMI database.
Run the backup again.
In case the issue remains unresolved, please deselect the WBEM folder from backup selection because this directory gets backed up automatically during Shadow Copy Components backup as shown in Figure 2 below.
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\WBEM directory can be deselected as shown in Figure 1 below.
WBEM = Web-Based Enterprise Management
Note: it is safe to deselect "WBEM" folder because its included in the Service State which is a part of Shadow Copy Components.
In Windows 2003, WMI is a part of Shadow Copy Components as shown in Figure 2 below. Therefore "WBEM" folder can be deselected from the Backup selection.