For some file types, such as Microsoft Office files, an archived file is restored to the file server if the FSA placeholder shortcut is right-clicked in Windows Explorer to view the file’s properties or selected with the Details pane enabled.
When the file properties are viewed, Windows Explorer triggers a file recall to read the file content for display in the details pane. In addition if the file is selected with the details pane enabled the file will be recalled by Windows Explorer.
- Disable Windows Explorer’s details pane. (open Windows Explorer, click Organize, point to Layout, and then click Details pane. )
- Configure pass-through recall for the file server. For read requests Enterprise Vault then passes the data directly to the calling application without restoring the file to the file server.
For more information on pass-through recall, see the Setting up File System Archiving guide
Perform the following steps to configure pass-through recall for a file server:
- In the Enterprise Vault Administration Console, expand the File Servers container under Targets
- Right-click the target file server, and select Properties.
- On the General tab, select Configure pass-through recall.
- Specify a suitable path on the file server for the pass-through recall disk cache location.
Note: We recommend that you specify a location on a high-performance disk. The Vault Service account must have write permission on the folder.
- Click OK to save the changes to the file server’s properties.
- Enable pass-through recall for each of the file server’s target volumes. Right-click the target volume and select Properties. Then on the General tab, select Enable pass-through recall.