This technote describes the process of setting up Agent for VMware to retry snapshots in Backup Exec 2012 or later version if the first attempt to snapshot a virtual machine fails.
Error found in job log:
Final error: 0xe000959a - An attempt to take a snapshot of a virtual machine failed because it was unable to quiesce an application.
With Backup Exec 2012 Hotfix 199866 functionality has been added to Backup Exec to attempt snapshots of virtual machines after the first snapshot has failed to allow for backups to retry the snapshot process for customers to get a successful backup of virtual machines.
After the modifications below have been made with the Hotfix or later version, Backup Exec will attempt to retry a Quiesced snapshot the number of times specified, if all of the retry attempts fail Backup Exec will then attempt a Non Quiesced snapshot to complete the backup of the virtual machine. If the non quiesced snapshot is used for the backup, no application GRT will be available for restore from that backup.
Steps to configure snapshot retries:
- Install Hotfix 199866 on the Backup Exec server if Backup Exec 2012 is used.
- Stop all of the Backup Exec services.
- Open regedit on the Backup Exec server.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\VMWare Agent
- Create the following keys. With these settings Backup Exec will attempt to retry a quiesced snapshot 5 times with 30 seconds interval.
- "Use hybrid snapshot method" value data = 0x1 (1)
- "Snapshot retry attempts" value data = 0x5 (5)
- "Snapshot retry interval" value data = 0x1e (30)
Note: All keys are DWORD (32-bit) Value and case sensitive.
"Snapshot retry interval" value data = 0x3c (60)
- Exit regedit
- Start the Backup Exec services
Requirements: Before making the changes listed in this technote, Hotfix 199866 must be installed on the Backup Exec server if Backup Exec 2012 is used.