After performing a Simplified Disaster Recovery (SDR) restore, the system hangs on the Windows mini-setup wizard. Rebooting the restored system results in the same results.
Windows mini-setup wizard is caught on a driver conflict.
Disabled the Windows mini-setup option, by following the steps listed below, and allow the restored system to reboot once again to begin troubleshooting the driver conflict:
- Boot the recovered system with the SDR disk again.
- From the main menu choose Utilities
- Click the menu option, ‘Start Command Prompt,’
- At the command prompt type: regedit and press the enter key.
- Single left click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to select it.
- From the FILE pull down menu choose, ‘Load Hive.’
- Navigate to the restored system’s \Windows\System32\config sub-folder.
- Select the SYSTEM file; it will be the one w/o a file extension then click the OK button.
- Enter as a key name noreboot.
- Expand out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and locate noreboot.
- Expand out noreboot.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\NOREBOOT\SETUP
- Make sure the following registry values are as follows:
- ‘CmdLine,’ has no value.
- OOBEInProgress, RestartSetup, SetupPhase, SetupType, and SystemSetupInProgress has a value of 0x0000000 (0)
- Navigate back to noreboot
- From the FILE pull down menu choose, ‘Unload Hive.’
- Click Yes to save changes to the restored system's SYSTEM hive.
- Close regedit.
- Type Exit at the command prompt.
- Click the Exit link at the bottom right corner of the SDR main window.
- Reboot restored system; choose to boot by recovered system's OS and not the SDR disk.
Windows based systems.