This article explains how to restore an Exchange mailbox or Public folder item to a PST, a Microsoft Outlook data file, that is compatible with Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 using Backup Exec and the Agent for Microsoft Exchange.
- The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange must be present on the media server (an evaluation edition of BE and/or the agent can also be used), and the Remote Agent must be installed on the destination server to which the mailbox or public folder items are being restored to.
- In the restore job selections, the mailbox or public folder items must show as being available to restore. Databases cannot be redirected to PST.
- Microsoft Outlook 2003, 2007, or 2010 (32-bit only) must be installed on the destination server.
- If the backup is on tape, Backup Exec will stage the entire backup set to a local drive on the Media server, so please ensure that you have enough space on a local drive. Note: By default, the staging path is C:\temp. The path can be changed from the Backup Exec Settings-Granular Recovery Technology option screen.
- Highlight the Exchange server/ DAG from the Backup and Restore tab and click on Restore.
- Choose Microsoft Exchange then then click on Microsoft Exchange Messages.
- Click Next and choose the mail/mailbox/mailboxes/ or Public folder items to be restored. Click Next.
- Choose the second option Redirect data to a different Microsoft Exchange server or DAG and type the server name where the data will be restored to as a PST. In this case, if Microsoft Outlook is installed on the media server, type Localhost as the server name and choose an account that has admin rights on the server. Then click Next.
- Choose Redirect to PST and browse to show the path. Even if browsing to a different server, the path will be shown only as Drive Letter:\Folder name (D:\Temp). It will create a PST file on the server entered in the previous step. Click Next.
- Change the default name of the restore operation if desired, and click Next.
- Verify the Job Summary and click on Finish.
- Once the restore has completed, the PST files will be visible at the destination location that was specified in the restore Job.
Note: Redirected restores of mailboxes or public folder items to a .PST, a Microsoft Outlook data file, that is compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2003, 2007, or 2010 can be performed. The maximum size of the .PST file is 20 GB. If the restore exceeds the size limit, the PST files are numbered consecutively. If the same Mailbox is restored multiple times, Backup Exec will create multiple copies of it with a number in brackets. e.g. (1) (2) (3) etc.
Note: Installing any version of Microsoft Outlook on the Backup Exec Appliance is not supported by Symantec. To restore to PST when using an Appliance, Microsoft Outlook should be installed on a remote server.
- Microsoft Exchange 2003
- Microsoft Exchange 2007
- Microsoft Exchange 2010
- Microsoft Exchange 2013