Windows Server VMware virtual machine backup fails with "An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine".
Windows Server 2019 VMware virtual machines may fail to generate a quiesced snapshot, causing the NetBackup job to fail with a STATUS 156 (snapshot error encountered).
bpfis log may show log lines similar to the following:
02:39:38.359  <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - waitForVMwareTaskToComplete: Task(task-8524) in error state
02:39:38.359  <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: INF - vSphere_freeze: FTL - vSphere_freeze: Snapshot task for virtual machine w2k19vm (/vmmor/vm-867) failed, 0 retries remaining, error type: 237, error message: An error occurred while quiescing the virtual machine. See the virtual machine's event log for details..
This is a known VMware issue as described in the following VMware article.
Perform either 1 or 2.
1. This issue is resolved in Windows Server version 1809 and all versions of Windows Server 2019 OS Build 17763.1012. For more information, please see January 23, 2020—KB4534321 (OS Build 17763.1012).
2. Use Veritas VSS provider instead of the VMware VSS provider to resolve this issue.
To use the Veritas VSS provider, you must install it manually following installation of the 'NetBackup for Windows client'.
If the VMware VSS provider has already been installed, the Veritas VSS provider installation program will removes it and require a restart of the computer.
To install the Veritas VSS provider
1) Browse to the following location:
2) Double-click on the 'Veritas VSS provider for vSphere' shortcut.
3) Follow the prompts.
4) When the utility has completed, restart the computer if prompted.
5) Following the restart, the utility resumes. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
Windows Server 2019 VMware virtual machine
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):