NetBackup for VMware backup polices where the client list is built using the VMware Intelligent Policy (VIP) query builder. All scheduled and manual backups of the policy fail immediately with Status 200. For each VMware policy, the only job that goes active in the activity monitor is the parent job responsible for building the client list from the VIP query.
Backups not using the NetBackup for VMware agent are completing successfully.
Job completes in the NetBackup Activity Monitor with Status 200.
The detailed job status in the activity monitor contains the following entries:
- Warning nbpem(pid=6876) vSphere login failed, server = [vcenter_server_name].
- end Parent Job; elapsed time: 00:00:02
scheduler found no backups due to run(200)
The account used to access the vCenter Server has been changed. Either the account name or the password. This can be confirmed by:
1) Attempt credential validation on the NetBackup Master server in the NetBackup Administration Console under "Media and Device Management -> Credentials -> Virtual Machine Servers." Open the vCenter Server identified in the activity monitor and attempt to validate. The following error will indicate a username/password issue:
VMware credential validation failed.
Login failed (-1)
2) Attempt to login to the vCenter server using the VMware vSphere Client, using these same credentials. The following error will confirm a username/password issue:
Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
1. Identify the account used by NetBackup to access the VMware vCenter Server (in the NetBackup Administration Console under "Media and Device Management -> Credentials -> Virtual Machine Servers."
2. Confirm this Windows account has not been locked or had its password expire. If it has, correct this or reset the password.
3. Test the ability to log in to the vCenter Server with this account using the VMware vSphere Client.
4. If necessary, go to the NetBackup Credentials virtual machine servers list and reset the password for this user account. Confirm the credentials now validate successfully.
5. Test backups, or test the query in the policy using the "Test Query" option in the client tab.
NetBackup for VMware using VMware Intelligent Policy (VIP) query builder.
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):