VMware vStorage backups failing with ERR - FIML_initialize_vxms failed (14) and system call failed(11)
vStorage backups over network and san failing with Status 14
Error from activity monitor:
9/14/2010 9:56:47 AM - begin writing
9/14/2010 9:56:48 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=4576) from client <vm_name>: ERR - FIML_initialize_vxms failed (14)
9/14/2010 9:56:52 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=4576) could not send server status message
9/14/2010 9:56:52 AM - end writing; write time: 00:00:05
system call failed(11)
NetBackup is unable to load the VxMS libraries needed for fullVM backups.
1. Open registry on VMware Backup Host.
2. Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\VxMS\InstallDir64
3. If this field is empty or if the field points to the wrong location, this needs to be corrected.
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.
1. Locate the following path on the proxy server (most commonly on the C:\ drive):
<drive_letter>\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS
This location will hold the following directories:
<drive_letter>\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS\Map
<drive_letter>\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS\Messages
<drive_letter>\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS\Shared
2. Once located, open up the registry on the proxy server and locate the following key:
3. Within this key, locate the following value of type REG_SZ
4. Set the value to the path as identified above, for example if located on the C:\ drive:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS\
Note: The trailing slash is critical. If no trailing slash is entered this will cause the dlls to not be found.
5. Save changes, perform another backup to test fix.
NetBackup 7.0 VMware Backup Host on 64-bit Microsoft Windows Server 2008 server.
Was this content helpful?
Rating submitted. Please provide additional feedback (optional):