VCS-282: Veritas NetBackup 9.1 Administrator
Although each product varies in complexity and depth of technical knowledge, all certification exams target customers in an administrative role and cover core elements measuring technical knowledge against factors such as configuration, product administration, day-to-day monitoring, maintenance and basic troubleshooting (diagnosis and/or repair).
This program consists of technical exams at a product/version level that validate that the successful candidate has knowledge and skills necessary to configure and maintain NetBackup version 9.1.
Passing this exam will result in a Veritas Certified Specialist (VCS) certification and counts towards the requirements for a Veritas Certified Professional (VCP) certification in Protection.
No. of Questions: 75 - 85
Exam Duration: 105 minutes
Passing Score: 65%
Exam Price: $200 USD (or your country’s currency equivalent)
Note: If you do not have prior experience with this product, it is recommended that you complete an in-person training, virtual classroom training or Veritas Learning Lab training class in preparation for the VCS exam. Be aware that attending a training course does not guarantee passage of a certification exam.
Recommended preparation steps:
- Exam Preparation Guide (PDF): Download and review the guide to understand the scope of topics covered in the certification exam and how they map to the key lessons and topics in the associated training course(s).
- Attend recommended training classes listed above.
- Gain hands-on experience with the product. 6-9 months experience administering NetBackup 9.1 is recommended.
- Sample Exam (PDF): Test yourself and your exam-taking skills using the sample exam
In addition, you should be familiar with the following product documentation and web sites:
Recommended hands-on experience (real world or virtual):
- Describe basic NetBackup architecture
- Describe the functionality of NetBackup product features, options, transport modes, and advanced file system backup methods (e.g., MSDP, Bare Metal Restore (BMR), NetBackup Vault, Enterprise Client, SAN Client, Cloud, Database agents, virtual machine protection, Media Server and client-side Deduplication, KMS Options, OST, NetBackup Accelerator, Storage Lifecycle Policies, AIR, SnapShot Manager, and RBAC)
- Configure core components of NetBackup including devices, storage units, volumes, and volume pools using the NetBackup Administration Console
- Manage NetBackup security certificates
- Configure storage servers and disk pools including media server and client-side deduplication
- Configure backup policy attributes, schedules, clients, and backup selection lists
- Run and monitor backups, duplications, replications and restores
- Monitor daily activity and availability of the NetBackup environment by analyzing reports and reviewing activity logs
- Have knowledge of tape drive operation and maintain media rotation and availability
- Manage and maintain disk storage devices
- Troubleshoot or diagnose basic NetBackup issues
- Access and install NetBackup release updates
- Manage and configure VxUpdate for automated upgrades
- Access NetBackup documentation and the online Knowledge Base
- Configure a backup of the NetBackup catalog
- Modify basic NetBackup behavior using host properties (e.g., jobs per client, general attributes, media overwrite)
- Configure Storage Lifecycle Policies including AIR
- Configure Protection Plans
- Perform restores for file systems and VMware