Veritas InfoScale Operations Manager (VIOM) Command Execution via Insecure File Upload Security Advisory
- 1.0: July 12, 2023: Initial version
- 1.1: July 14, 2023: Updated Remediation recommendation
- 1.2: July 20, 2023: Added CVE ID
A vulnerability was discovered in the Veritas InfoScale Operations Manager (VIOM) XPRTLD web application.
The VIOM XPRTLD web application allows an authenticated attacker to upload all types of files to the server. An authenticated attacker can then execute the malicious file to perform command execution on the remote server.
- CVE ID: CVE-2023-38404
- Severity: High
- CVSS v3.1 Base Score 7.2: ( AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H )
- CWE-434: Unrestricted Upload of File with Dangerous Type
An attacker must have Admin access to the VIOM XPRTLD web application.
Veritas InfoScale Operations Manager (VIOM) versions 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.3.1, 7.4, 7.4.2, 8.0. Earlier unsupported versions may be affected as well.
Customers under a current maintenance contract should upgrade their VIOM environment as recommended below:
- Upgrade Veritas InfoScale Operations Manager (VIOM) Management Server to a minimum version 220.127.116.110 or 8.0.2.
- Upgrade VIOM Agents to minimum version 18.104.22.1680, 22.214.171.1240 or 126.96.36.199 depending upon supportability matrix.
See the Veritas Download Center for available updates: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/downloads
For questions or problems regarding these vulnerabilities please contact Veritas Technical Support (https://www.veritas.com/support)
THE SECURITY ADVISORY IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE DISCLAIMED, EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT SUCH DISCLAIMERS ARE HELD TO BE LEGALLY INVALID. VERITAS TECHNOLOGIES LLC SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE FURNISHING, PERFORMANCE, OR USE OF THIS DOCUMENTATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENTATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
Veritas Technologies LLC
2625 Augustine Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95054