Security Advisory Impacting NetBackup Windows OS Primary Servers, Media Servers and Clients
- 1.0: April 28, 2023 – Initial release
- 1.1: May 19, 2023 – Update to Impacted Components and added hotfix information
Issue: Privilege Escalation
A vulnerability in the way NetBackup Windows OS client validates the path to a DLL prior to loading may allow a user to elevate privileges and compromise the host operating system.
- CVE ID:CVE-2023-28759
- Severity: High
- CVSS v3.1 Base Score: 8.4 (AV:L/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H)
- Impacted Components:
- NetBackup Primary server, Media server and Client installed on the Windows operating system.
- Affected Versions: All versions prior to 10.0
- Recommended action:
- Upgrade to 10.0 or later and no further action is needed.
- Or upgrade to version 18.104.22.168 and apply Hotfix for Etrack 4115799
- Or upgrade to version 22.214.171.124 and apply Hotfix for Etrack 4116057
- Or upgrade to version 126.96.36.199 and apply Hotfix for Etrack 4116060
- Or upgrade to Version 188.8.131.52 and apply Hotfix for Etrack 4115260
- The issue is mitigated if non-admin users DO NOT have access to create files in the DLL search path.
- Please see Microsoft documentation for DLL search order. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/dlls/dynamic-link-library-search-order
For questions or problems regarding this vulnerability please contact Veritas Technical Support (https://www.veritas.com/support)
Veritas would like to thank the Lockheed Martin Red Team for notifying us about this issue.
THE SECURITY ADVISORY IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, ARE DISCLAIMED, EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT SUCH DISCLAIMERS ARE HELD TO BE LEGALLY INVALID. VERITAS TECHNOLOGIES LLC SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE FURNISHING, PERFORMANCE, OR USE OF THIS DOCUMENTATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS DOCUMENTATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE..
Veritas Technologies LLC
2625 Augustine Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95054